If you’ve been thinking of investing in smart home appliances and solutions, but you weren’t sure how you could control it all at home, check out this new invention.
Brilliant Control is a smart home panel- or rather, a ‘smart lighting solution’- that’s been created by Brilliant, a new company co-founded by Aaron Emigh and based in San Mateo, California.
The panel can replace a light switch in your home and act as a central station for controlling common smart home devices with a simple touch or voice command.
Yes, it’s true, not everyone needs, or even wants, a smart home. However, according to npdgroup.ca , one in six in Canada have already invested in home automation, and while that number may seem small to some, it’s likely to grow .
(photo credit: www.vimeo.com)
Compatible Across Devices
And that's because, when used properly, smart home technology can help you save money, energy and time. It can also make it easier for those with limited mobility to stay independent, on a small level.
And so, a product like this one is filling a need. With this product, the biggest selling point is the fact that Brilliant Control is compatible with multiple brands of smart home appliances. Following this, is the fact that it's relatively affordable.
If you have a smart thermostat made by Honeywell and a wireless lighting system from Philips , now you don’t have to control them using multiple apps or additional panels.
Brilliant Control works with dozens of smart home services and devices including Nest, Sonos, Philips Hue, Ring, SmartThings, Honeywell, security systems, and others. You can do it all in one place, and all without a smartphone.
As for affordability, with Brilliant Control you don't need to have thousands of dollars on hand to invest in a control system for your entire home all at once. It allows you to get your feet wet.
With the panel you can invest in your smart home choices one at a time, as you wish, as your budget sees fit, something which could be a big plus for some buyers.
What are the drawbacks? Obviously, some people really actuallywantto have all their controls on their phone. Having a panel on the wall is an extra they don’t need.
And furthermore, if something goes wrong with your Brilliant Control, you could potentially lose the ability to manage all those convenient appliances and solutions, in one blow.
But customer assistance is on hand to pull you through possible tough times.
Brilliant Tech is said to be filled with experienced entrepreneurs and engineers from companies like Apple, Philips, PayPal, Netscape, Digidesign, Opsware, e.piphany, and shopkick.
They're likely aware of the importance of keeping customers satisfied, and coming back for more.
Here are the specs:
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled (to connect Brilliant Controls if WiFi not present)
- 5" diagonal LCD touch screen with 720x1280 resolution
- Over the air automatic software updates
- Ability to access the Brilliant Control through IFTTT or the Brilliant Alexa skill
- 5" LCD touch display with 720x1280 resolution
- Amazon Alexa Voice Services built-in
- Motion detection to save money by automatically turn on and off light
- Works with SmartThings or Wink hubs
- Compatible with light switch panels with 1, 2, 3, and 4 switches
- Accepts voice, motion control, and touch commands
- Includes video camera with physical cover for added security
- Works with all LED lights (including dimming)
- Compatible with existing security systems
- A free companion Brilliant Control app (iOS and Android)
Brilliant Tech is available for pre-order starting today. Shipping and retail availability will come in late summer 2017.
The first 1,000 pre-orders will cost $149 USD, and after this the price will go up to $199 USD.
For more information, visit www.brilliant.tech .