Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new actiontec router installed but ran into one major glitch that I cant seem to work around and the tech I just spoke with was no help.

It seems that it is currently impossible to change the IP address to something other than the default 192.168.1.254 I really dont want to have to reconfigure all of my static IP address devices used on my network. So does anyone have an idea how or IF its possible to change the local ip address? I have never experienced any router that this was not possible on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to. having a consistent internal facing IP at the client end makes life far easier for Telus support. pick another static IP for your home network.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"pick another static IP for your home network" ???
Off the top of my head I have 15 devices I need to reconfigure then remap lots of software from VOIP phone, my server and related software, torrent software, vpn,security system,surveillance software etc.

Simply picking another IP for an integrated home network is NOT a simple task. I have gotten an old dlink on loan and reinstalled it last night and im sticking with that as it works until Telus sorts the firmware for this piece of hardware out or I find a workable solution.

It was suggested in a discussion with a friend that I try adding my own router in the DMZ zone of the actiontec then wire the network to my own router and leave the Telus media room on the telus imposed IP addresses and their own network. I have not had enough time to think about the implications of such a setup but it might be a simpler workable solution IF the DMZ is working right on the v1000h.(it did not work correctly with the VOIP phone)

·
Registered
494 Posts
You're probably not going to be able to ever change the ip address on the Actiontec. 99.9% of customers would not need to change the ip address so I'm highly doubtful Telus would implement this. As scokar pointed out, it could possibly cause a lot of unnecessary grief for Telus Tech support and field techs if they needed to try resolve an issue.

I think your only options are to use your own router, or update the ip addresses of 15 devices.

Is there any particular reason you need to run static ip's?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a way to get Telus to install the Actiontech to replace the dlink for a current customer? Anybody tried this or had any luck? I'd like the wireless N and gigabit ethernet a lot :)

·
Banned
548 Posts
It sounds as though the easiest solutiuon would be to purchase your own router, if you don't already have one, and configure it to your perferred address scheme then plug it into the Actiontec.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
2 Posts
"pick another static IP for your home network" ???
Off the top of my head I have 15 devices I need to reconfigure then remap lots of software from VOIP phone, my server and related software, torrent software, vpn,security system,surveillance software etc.

Simply picking another IP for an integrated home network is NOT a simple task. I have gotten an old dlink on loan and reinstalled it last night and im sticking with that as it works until Telus sorts the firmware for this piece of hardware out or I find a workable solution.

It was suggested in a discussion with a friend that I try adding my own router in the DMZ zone of the actiontec then wire the network to my own router and leave the Telus media room on the telus imposed IP addresses and their own network. I have not had enough time to think about the implications of such a setup but it might be a simpler workable solution IF the DMZ is working right on the v1000h.(it did not work correctly with the VOIP phone)
ctown6412, I am also in the same situation as you. I have a server set up, running all the usual stuff, security system, cameras, electrical, communications, VOIP and all the other stuff that goes along with it. So.... reconfiguring an ENTIRE network, alarms etc, not going to happen.. Saying that.. here is what I am doing for the interm..

I have the Telus Optik TV so the Optik modem is a no go as the Telus TV will not work with the modem alone you need to use the Actiontec VDSL modem. It is because of this I may not keep my Optik TV. My Settings are as follows...

Telus Optik default IP is 192.168.1.254 CAN NOT CHANGE :(
Wireless on the Actiontec is disabled.
Telus Optik PVR is connected via CAT5 to Port 1
My D-Link DVG-2001s (VOIP adapter with Free Phone Line dot CA) is hard wired to port 2 I had to change my internal settings on the VOIP adapter to the 192.168.1.x IP range, not a huge issue... now... here is where I had to bend some what..

Port3 of the Actiontec VDSL modem points to my router, Port 3 is also set to DMZ. From there I have my router and various networking set up and running, it is in here is where I have any repeaters and subnet's partitioned.

I know this isn't the ideal solution but until I can find the tier 2 user/pass for the Actiontec v1000h. The older Siemens, D-Link etc all had secondary log in's to let you make the changes that you are talking about. I have tried all the older "tech/root users & passwords" none of them work with this modem. If anyone manages to find them please drop me a pm.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tazzman, Yeah I have been doing basically what you have been doing but still can not get the VOIP phone working even thru the DMZ of the Actiontec. I have decided to revert back to the old Dlink for now and use my DIR 555 as an access point as I was doing before. What a PIA this new router is if you have a complex home system. If we could get the VOIP working with the actiontec I can manage with the rest of my system on the other subnet as that phone does not need to interact with everything else its just a straight thru voip line to my girlfriends office.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too am having a problem with a VOIP phone that does not want to work properly behind this device. It is a cisco 7940 that the wife uses to to talk with her co-workers around the country. It worked just fine with the 2Wire unit but it will not ring at all behind the Actiontec. All messages go to voice mail and there is clue that this is happening either. She can call out on it just fine but the incoming is pooched. I have tried a bunch of things the Actiontec peeps suggested but all with the same result.....a non ringing phone. They (Actiontec) claim their device should not/is not causing theses issues but something is blocking phone function that is for sure.....and all that changed in the equation was the swapping of modem/router devices.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Log into the Actiontec and determine the MAC of the VOIP phone device and set it to DMZ in the Actiontec. This will put it (the VOIP phone) outside the Actiontec's NAT firewall and there should be no further issues. Only one device can be DMZ in a router.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks...but now I have moved the phone to an old Linksys router that I have sitting on the 192.168.15.1 IP. Would I have to find the mac address of the router to put it into the DMZ...or can I do it by IP.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I believe you will find it by it's IP in the Actiontecs tables.

You will have a problem though if you've plugged your router into the Actiontec and left it on the 192.168.0.0 adress range. The Actiontec uses that range, so there will be network conflicts. To avoid this change the address range of your router to the 172.16.0.0 range (the Actiontec can't be changed).

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had an actiontec v1000h installed last week and the GUI EWS is at 192.168.10.254, yes that 10 is not a typo...

Was trying to figure why I was not able to log into or even ping 192.168.1.254

I found this thread while looking for a solution to this.

Telus tech support said my file shows the installer set it up like this in order to leave my current linksys router alone.

I'm a Optik tv / internet subscriber in Quebec.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had actiontec v1000h installed last weekend. After doing some research, I found that you can change the lan IP or change dhcp ip ranges from some unlisted pages.

to change your v1000h lan ip, just point your browser to
http://192.168.1.254/advancedsetup_lanipaddress.html

to change dhcp settings, go to
http://192.168.1.254/advancedsetup_dhcpsettings.html

(replace 192.168.1.254 with your modem's current lan IP if it's different)

For those who feel a bit adventurous, here is the page for you to upgrade its firmware
http://192.168.1.254/utilities_upgradefirmware_real.html

and you can find actiontec opensource firmwares here:
http://opensource.actiontec.com/

You would need a linux box to build the firmware. I can confirm that the lan IP and dhcp setting can be changed. However, I did not try the firmware update since I have no way to revert it back to telus one if something goes wrong. I also can not guarantee that the firmware actiontec provided is compatible with your hardware. So please do it at your own risk.

·
Banned
548 Posts
DO NOT UPDATE OR MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR ACTIONTEC'S FIRMWARE!

rewrite, you give some mighty bad advice here. TELUS does not want you changeing the address range on the Actiontec, you need a different range change your router. You have a great deal of equipment and that will be time consuming? Suck it up, that's just too bad, change YOUR router not the Actiontec.

The firmware on the Actiontec was chosen by TELUS, and is optomised for Optik. The Actiontec belongs to TELUS. Customers have no authority to update firmware for TELUS routers or any equipment from any source other than TELUS.

You will be charged for any problem you create doing this sort of nonsense. READ THE SERVICE AGREEMENT. You are not permitted to make unauthourised changes to TELUS equipment. Its not just forbidden its foolish.

Same goes for opening up rental STBs, you want to try to modify your STB, buy it.

Behaviour such as this will only drive up costs for everyone. Just don't please.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did not encourage people to update the firmware on their actiontec. In fact, I stated that I didn't do it because I do not know if the firmware is compatible. I just post the information I found myself to share with others. That's all.

And I don't see the reason why the LAN ip on the actiontec can't be changed. Obviously an average user won't bother doing it because they don't know what they are doing. but see the previous post which stated that even the installer changes the LAN ip for the customers. AND to ask your tv customer to "suck it up" is very harsh don't you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
by the way, if I have the option to buy the modem and/or the router. I would love to buy them. If I break the router myself, i am fine with telus charging me in order to fix it. I even look on the net to see if I can buy the actiontec router or ALU modem myself because telus refused to provide ALU modem to me. But I haven't found the places that sell these.

I did buy my own STBs. I bought a digital box and a pvr. I want to own these boxes because I didn't want to see a telus tech harass me about looking into their equipments that are rented from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand why it is not a good idea to fool around with a box I don't own. It is not my intention.

I just think it is a better approach in the end for a Telus tech to be honest and to tell its customers why messing with the firmware is a bad idea rather than lying and saying it is impossible to change the gateway ip address.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts