Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We first got Telus Optik last April. The TV has always been great, no pixelation, great colour and quality even on the SD channels, but we did have problems with the internet. Every couple months we would lose internet and wireless connectivity ranging from minutes to several hours. Restarting the modem would do nothing. The issue would seem to resolve itself and work fine until the next outage.

The last month it started occuring everyday so a tech came out and hooked up the new Actiontec router. They also updated all my boxes, which I hadn't really wanted them to do. After that, the internet has been working great, but our TV has not.

Our HD PVR is doing some weird things now. HD channels will suddenly all become pixellated or drop audio in and out and the picture will freeze and start up again. It happens to all HD channels, VOD HD movies and some recordings but not others, standard def channels are all fine.

Our other two set top boxes were working fine other than losing the recordings and having to reload them every so often. We can watch HD on those boxes and the recordings and HD movies with no issue. Called again and they said it must be the HDMI cable connecting the PVR to the TV. Well that cable has been good for a whole year and was fine until the tech came out. They are mailing me some component cables they say will rectify the issue. I highly doubt it. I was so happy with my telus tv until this point. If they don't fix these issues I will be switching back to SHAW once they come out with their PVR anywhere capability in the next few months.

Has anyone else had issues like this with the new router and system update?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The "losing the recordings and having to reload them every so often" on the STBs seems to be a known issue after updating to Mediaroom 2.0. I have called tech and was told they are working on it. All was fine at my end for months until the upgrade and then this started happening - very annoying when it happens in the middle of watching a recorded show a few times in an hour!

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a known bug where the PVR goes to sleep even though a 330 is pulling a recording from it. For the time being, it's best to leave the PVR turned on when watching a recording on another box. A patch is in the works, ETA unknown.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i6s1 - thanks - leaving the PVR on seems to have fixed the issue - would be nice if tech support had advised me of that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

So we got the component cables in the mail. Hooked it up and the pixellation and audio dropping/picture freezing is still happening on my HD channels and VOD and HD recordings. It has also now started happening on my other HD box. Very frustrating. Will follow up with useless telus support and see what they have to say now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had some of the problems described above, but got some advice from the helpful Telus tech that used to be on this forum, and it seems to have worked. I had the STBs dropping the recordings occasionally, plus the laggy remote issues since installing mediaroom 2. He advised me to do a total system reset (which you should always do for any firmware updates, which I did not know), described as:

1) Unplug your PVR and all STBs
2) Unplug your modem/ router for 5 seconds, then plug back in.
3) Wait a couple minutes until your router is totally booted up.
4) Plug your PVR back in - wait approx 5 minutes until it is totally initialized and you have TV again. Leave it on and do not change channels, etc.
5) Plug your other STBs in (up to 3 at a time only) - wait until they are totally initialized and TV is back
6) You're done.

There is a lot of technical stuff involved that is well beyond me, but he described the PVR as the workhorse of the system and that it has to establish the network PRIOR to the other STBs, which is why you should let it totally finish before doing the other boxes. I hadn't done this before and wasn't advised to do so. Having done this properly now, all seems good and my problems are gone.

Hope this works for a few of you. Thanks to the Monkey for this one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts