Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 120 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
A Shaw rep told me this website is blocked at their office. I bet hearing all of us complain (and let's face it, no one posts here just to say how happy they are with everything) affects their ability to sell since it seems like there are so many problems with everything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Incidentally Berty posted a report of this bug weeks ago.
Sorry about the duplication folks. I suppose I did read that post at the time but as a 6416 owner I just got the new guide last night and so I didn't "feel the pain" until now.

Anyway, the "New A28 Guide" thread is pretty big and I thought it might be convenient to talk about A28 Guide bugs separately now that the masses of older PVR owners now have the new guide version.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I noticed that the PVR Cleanup on my 6416 is very slow. Going into the list is slow, selecting is slow and deleting is slow. Does anyone else see this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would have been nice to have some notice

Perhaps this should be in the rants.... but it would have been nice to have some notice of this reset, which happened here today.... I live in Victoria...

We lost an episode of Lie to Me from our PVR, we had watched part but not all. Very frustrating.

Couldn't get through by phone - waited 20 minutes and gave up. I presume Shaw either has fewer reps taking calls, or more calls about this. As I say, if they had let us know (isn't that what their messages are for?), it would be fine.

Thanks for reading. I'd be interested in knowing if there is a way to retrieve the program at this point.

Pam

Motorola 6512 PVR

·
Registered
536 Posts
pridchardson said:
We lost an episode of Lie to Me from our PVR, we had watched part but not all. Very frustrating.
You shouldn't have lost any recorded programs.

Try the Shaw Chat service for faster response.

And no, you cannot revert to an earlier firmware or Guide version. Oh, I just realized that you meant Lie to Me. Aren't all your other recorded programs still on your PVR? None of them should have been lost. You may need to provide more details for people to assist you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just received the update overnight last night. At least you can now delete saved searches (don't know why this option wasn't available before). However, trying to change a channel by hitting 25 <enter> on the remote just brings up the music guide now as if the channel number wasn't entered. This is very annoying as I often go directly to channels. Now I have to enter the channel number and wait for the box to go to that channel.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
A Shaw rep told me this website is blocked at their office. I bet hearing all of us complain (and let's face it, no one posts here just to say how happy they are with everything) affects their ability to sell since it seems like there are so many problems with everything.
Interesting. There was a time when Shaw was actually watching this forum to see how they were doing. Perhaps they have restricted access to DHC to the 'higher-ups' for the reasons you mention.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just received the update overnight last night. At least you can now delete saved searches (don't know why this option wasn't available before). However, trying to change a channel by hitting 25 <enter> on the remote just brings up the music guide now as if the channel number wasn't entered. This is very annoying as I often go directly to channels. Now I have to enter the channel number and wait for the box to go to that channel.
I don't notice that. Do you have channel selection set to auto-tune in the guide setup?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
However, trying to change a channel by hitting 25 <enter> on the remote just brings up the music guide now as if the channel number wasn't entered. This is very annoying as I often go directly to channels. Now I have to enter the channel number and wait for the box to go to that channel.
I can confirmed this bug

Use the OK button and it will work

Also, to get the Watch In HD message, you need to press the OK button.

if you type in 009 or whatever, it just goes to the channel

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can confirmed this bug

Thanks, just tested that and the workaround works for me. Now I have to retrain my thumb to hit a different button!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can confirmed this bug

That's probably why I don't see it as I am using a Harmony and pressing the OK rather than Enter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Folder back button

The folder feature was long time in coming, however can some one tell me if there is a BACK feature once you are in a folder. I have tried every button on the remote to get BACK to the same point where I entered the folder without success. The only way so far is the hit the EXIT and LIST again but this is areal pain in the arse as you end up at the top of the listing and have to scroll down again.:( If this is design intent them some one really screwed up and SHAW did not do any real testing (am I surprised? you take a guess)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Try the LAST button.

Both of my 6412's with 1TB EHD's were updated overnight and one didn't recognize the hard drive at first. I had to unplug the power from the EHD to get it recognized again. Of course the drive now says 33% full when it over 90% full. I hope I didn't lose any recordings.
It seems I have more hard drive space after the A28 update. I had roughly 40GB free before the update and now I have over 73GB of space. I have several programs which are now in folders--would that have given me the extra space? I am guessing not as the new guide is just using a different filing system, so therefore some of my recordings must have been deleted in the update process. I don't keep track of what is recorded so in this case ignorance is bliss.

The other 6412 only has one folder, and it has not changed at all in its % full or hard drive space.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I haven't had much time to browse around the new software yet, but the addition of the folders is nice...my kids record a great deal of crap and it's nice to not have to sift through all of it to find what I need.

I tried the bulk delete (on some of the previously mentioned crap ;) ) and it seemed to work fine here. (I'm on 6412 PIII w/ 1TB non-Shaw Expander).

I played around a little bit with the new search feature...meh.

It looks like the new software didn't fix the % full issue with expanders as I was hoping it would.

I'm kind of curious as to why Shaw doesn't issue any kind of notification when they do these software (or firmware) updates...I have to imagine that the number of people that know about it (through sites like this) is minuscule compared to the number of subscribers...I know some of my friends would be baffled if something changed over-night like that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You shouldn't have lost any recorded programs
I lost everything on the PVR Wed night/Thurs morning. My Guide doesn't look any different.
So was it just a firmware update?

Ken

·
Registered
128 Posts
My PVR (DCX3400) has never lost any, already recorded, program ever. But the Box sure behaved strangely after the reset. The Guide takes forever (seems like it) to get back to normal. But all things considered things are back to normal. The only kink is that the HD has reverted to showing 0%.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bah! As feared, my 3080 no longer shows the HD channels. A banner screen says something to the effect of needing an HD subscription to view the channel. I have an HD subscription (2 other HDPVRs in the house work fine).

I checked it immediately after the update on Thursday morning, and the HD channels worked on the 3080. This was before the guide and everything else finished populating. By Thursday evening, I could no longer get the HD channels on the 3080.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bah! As feared, my 3080 no longer shows the HD channels.
I'm really annoyed about that, because I do subscribe to the HD channels and get them in another room on my 6412. Phoning Shaw and seriously thinking about Telus now.

meshmellow

·
Registered
464 Posts
Received the update on the 3416 yesterday. Works good.

I would like to know if there is a "back" button when you are in a catalog

show folder as well.

101 - 120 of 336 Posts