Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Only way to do that is by create of favorites list with only your channels in it unfortunatly. Wish it would just automatically know which channels you have and have the guide only show those channels, but I guess they want you to know what your missing...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Agreed this is rather 20th century of Shaw. I can't find a way to log in to my Shaw account and get a list of what I'm subscribed to. At least you could print this list and use it to make your favourite list without going through channels to test for a signal. It's rather pathetic when you think about it.

At this point this whole update is annoying and I'd revert to the previous version in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
guide update

Just went into the Shaw retail store to exchange my 3 old boxes for brand new ones (at no charge - wow!) on the NFL package deal. I asked the CSR about the menu and he said the ability to delete channels was coming "very" soon. Said it like he'd already seen it. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just went into the Shaw retail store to exchange my 3 old boxes for brand new ones (at no charge - wow!) on the NFL package deal. I asked the CSR about the menu and he said the ability to delete channels was coming "very" soon. Said it like he'd already seen it. Fingers crossed!
Oh man... that's such a tease if it's not true. :D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's strange as I have not heard a whisper about any feature such as this. If it was coming you would think it would have been launched with this new guide update as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my 3400 a couple of days ago. The folder addition is what has me excited. I have tow girls age 7 & 10 and limited the number of shows they would record because everytime I went to the list it would be flooded with their shows, but if every show has it's on folder it won't be so overwhelming, plus easier to find what I'm looking for.

I'll also have to double check when I get home, but I"m pretty sure the menu took up the entire width, unlike before with my 3416.

·
Registered
14 Posts
turbolover said:
Hey guys, I also saw my pvr dct3416 reset but I don't see any changes to menu. I'm in Surrey BC. Do I need to do something to get menu update?
Only DCX3400 settops were upgraded(national). A reset is sent to all settops in preparation for firmware upgrades at a later date. I suspect there will be another reset sent soon, along with a firmware update to the rest of the settops that can support the A28 code.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Finally my guide is working, came home after holidays and found the folders set up etc.....really really unimpressed!!!! 16 x 9 nooooo I guess I am so used to that with Bell, what Shaw has given me is some more features that I already have with my Bell but again the functionality is still better in Bell.

Pity, looks like I will keep both for the year and then if the same deal is not around I will dump Shaw after the year (TV that is)......so much potential so many features to give us and only half the cake!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exchange of Shaw Boxes

I noticed that Adiabatic exchangedhis old boxes for new ones at shaw at no charge.......is that some kind of a promotion now? I'm wondering becaause I Have two, on is a dct6412 and the other dct6200 and if they applied I would take them in.
Thanks sapphire

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I believe the rest of the HD DCT (not the SD DCTs) will be upgraded aproximatelty Sept 1st. The DCT 700/2500 should be upgraded on about Sept 15th. These dates are subject to change however as one update already has been pushed back a week to the dates above.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Agreed this is rather 20th century of Shaw. I can't find a way to log in to my Shaw account and get a list of what I'm subscribed to. At least you could print this list and use it to make your favourite list without going through channels to test for a signal. It's rather pathetic when you think about it.

At this point this whole update is annoying and I'd revert to the previous version in a heartbeat.
You can find a list of what services you're subscribed to, by signing into Customer Care, and clicking Add Services. You'll see a list of "Existing Services", such as the one below:

BASIC DIGITAL HS BUN $75.95
Movie Central $18.95
HD PLUS $12.00
REMOTE SOD $0.00
BUNDLED 1ST DCT 597 $0.00
GR-FATHER US T-SHIFT $0.00
DP TERMINAL 390 $0.00
ALL DIGITAL BASIC $0.00
HDTV $0.00
PURCHASED DCT 3416 $0.00
GLOBAL VOD NON-2.0 $0.00
AE12M NALD PROMO $0.00
DP BASIC MAIN LINE $20.95
SOLD MODEM - DOCSIS $-5.00
AE12M DPB TPLAY SV $-5.95
AE12M B-HS TP SAV $-26.00
AE 1MO MOVIE PROMO $-18.95

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does this new update fix the horrible handshaking issues? IE: turn everything off and turn it back on and the box reverts to stock resolution. You have to manually set it again to watch full screen.

Such a pain in the arse

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tux, I know what I'm subscribed to, just not what's in each subscription. A TV can sample all available channels and lock out those with no reception. Why can't a PVR do that? Why can't I see a list of every channel I can receive when I log into Shaw? Although I'd much prefer the PVR do it.
I can forgive my tube TV for not having that capability but not a 500 dollar PVR.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Because Shaw receivers are based on a 10 year old system that appears to be very difficult and expensive to upgrade. Unlike satellite, cable companies need a lot of equipment in every area to provide proper service. I am guessing that it would be cheaper for Bell to replace all the MPEG2 receivers when they go to MPEG4, than it would be for Shaw to upgrade all their equipment found all over Western Canada, just to make the PVR's more user-friendly.

Bell's receivers can do what you describe, and are more "modern" than the Shaw receivers/PVR's. But they have their drawbacks as well. I liken the Shaw PVR's to a DOS based computer system, and Bell PVR's to Windows XP.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That seems like a sensationalistic answer to a simple question. These boxes have easily upgradable software, they clearly know what channels you are and aren't authorized to view. If iGuide could find a way to insert ads on the bottom line of the guide at pre-determined times it's not unreasonable to expect that the code can be written to hide certain lines in the guide display.

What's likely lacking here is Shaw's request for that feature to be added.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

since some time has passed since the first models got their hit of the new guide, is there any idea when they may be rolled out to the 6412's?

Just really anxious to try this out.

Thanks in advance.

41 - 60 of 336 Posts