Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I also have the update but my HD guide screen is still not full screen. So how do these folders work? Does the PVR create them itself and put similar recordings into them?
@Guzman, yes the folders work somewhat like that. For example, I do a series recording and once the second one in the series starts recording or has recorded the menu will create a folder and put them in it. Very neat for fast access.

----
Shaw Employee, opinons are my own.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Guzman, yes the folders work somewhat like that. For example, I do a series recording and once the second one in the series starts recording or has recorded the menu will create a folder and put them in it. Very neat for fast access.
With 175 hours of HD recording space, this folder option is great. It was starting to be a pain to have to scroll the whole list everytime I wanted to access/delete a program.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Here are some differences and features of the new A28 i-Guide:

And features:

I like the prompt on the flip bar where you can watch in HD and it will take you there if you happen upon a Standard Def channel.

---Shaw Employee - opinions are my own

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see many of the features mentioned above such as:
- Enhanced Searches
- Bulk Delete
- Folders
but not a 16:9 Guide. Is this really a feature of this release, or is there some trick to enabling it?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
It's not a 16:9 guide, it's a 16:9 screensaver. The old one was 4:3 so it would still have the guide on the right and left of the screensaver, which was rather silly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks. I have never had the screen saver come up (only been Shaw customer for 5 weeks), I'm not even sure when it would activate. :)

For me the DVR History, (if it stops the recording of an show I've already recorded, watched and removed) is great, followed by the Folders and Bulk Deleting.

I also agree that web-based scheduling would be very nice for those times you are away and discover something you'd love to watch when you get home. As Shaws competitors are offering this, hopefully we will see it soon.

·
Registered
536 Posts
henryk, to see your screensaver in action, try setting its activation time down to 1 minute then leave your box set to the Guide, setup or to a similar screen, not regular TV viewing and the screensaver should activate after a minute or so.

travisc, regrettably you are right about the Guide, mini-Guide, etc., being in 4:3. At least they finally gave us a 16:9 screensaver - and at least it seems to turn on when we have static images displaying - helpful for plasma TVs, I suppose. I haven't yet quite figured out exactly when it does or doesn't activate though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So far I love the new keyword searching. Some of the auto racing I watch is just called "Auto Racing" along with innumerable other events. Title searching is totally useless in that case.

If auto-record works properly with keywords then that alone makes me happy with this software upgrade. The folders are just icing on the cake... I hate having the recordings list cluttered by individual entries for the series I have archived (I record a lot of stuff for watching a few months later).

·
Registered
107 Posts
My unit reset on Wednesday but I only got the new channel lineup and not any firmware/software update. I have a 3416 and I read it has not been pushed out to my type of unit. Question: Can it be pulled in manually with a reset?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The new guide is pushed from the headend automatically to each model of DCT. This week ONLY the DCX 3400 model was updated. other PVR models will be updated in the coming weeks. please be patient as we do not have a schedule or date for each model updates as yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, my DCX3400 rebooted at exactly 1 am PST the other night, while I was watching a recording. Good thing I waited for it to come back, and didn't fiddle around. And there's a new PVR menu on it now.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Oh man, that's a bummer if true. I used to get into arguments with Shaw over whether my 3080 could receive HD channels (they kept claiming it couldn't, even though I was sitting there watching them). That box is now deceased though, so it doesn't affect me, but it sure was a nice feature.

·
Super Moderator
17,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That probably refers to the non-PVR boxes that couldn't decode the video, but could still decode the audio. The 3080s should be safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys, I also saw my pvr dct3416 reset but I don't see any changes to menu. I'm in Surrey BC. Do I need to do something to get menu update?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do I get menu update on my dct3416?

Hey guys, people are talking about some menu update on PVRs. I saw my pvr dct3416 reset but I don't see any changes to menu. I'm in Surrey BC. Do I need to do something to get menu update?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm a little concerned about this new "feature" listed at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to..._and_Software#Version_78.44_-_A28p0-2.0908.r4 :

• SD Set tops no longer can tune into HD Channels and listen to audio. A new banner message will explain you need an HDTV and HD Set top box.
Does this mean that the DCT3080 will no longer receive HD channels?
I think this refers to SD DCTs as in DCT 700, 2000, & 2500 models. Basically you could tune to an HD channel and would then get a black screen with audio coming through. A 3080 does not get a black screen so we can assume (hopefully) that they will continue to work the way they have in the past. I'm thinking it will be fine though for the 3080.

21 - 40 of 336 Posts