Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Guide and Guide Data Difficulties

I'm trying Shaw on a special offer - rental DCT3416. I'm thinking of dropping Bell.

I simply want to record first run network episodes of House and NCIS in HD on one channel and record old episodes nightly on Showcase HD. Using series recordings.

I set up Showcase first (record only this channel) but it records the episodes twice nightly due to missing episode information for House (both 1AM and 4AM) and missing episode infomation for the second run of NCIS (it has the first running correct).

Then I tried to to add the shows on Fox and CBS but it wouldn't let me set up a second series recording for either show on a specific channel. I tried "record all channels" but this didn't even guarantee a recording in HD for the network stuff.

So I have to choose between a series recording on a specific channel for network shows (which does work) or a series recording for Showcase.

I have chosen to record the series on Showcase, enter the network recordings manually, and delete the extra showcase series recordings manually, as it's less work.

Seems like a lot of work to do something that should be simple.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Upon exiting the info of a program and having the Fav list jump back to channel 3 was a glitch introduced with the newest version of A28 guide. This is well documented on wiki and is not something that Shaw "planned" in any way. Once the updated version of guide has been tested and approved for deployment this challenge will be corrected.
A lot of the frustration is that this newest version of the A28 guide was released in early August and now in late December we are still waiting for an update to correct this and other bugs.

Also, there is said to be a release of the A28 guide (A28p0-4.1005.r-8) released in July that supposedly corrects the Favourites bug. One would expect that this issue could have been dealt with by now.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
as if it is not bad enough that one has to create his own all sub list. shaw doesn't want you to use it. there is no way to make that program list as default. every time you return from using the info option to see what a particular program is all about or touching the exit key. you are returned to the all channel list way off from your last position on the guide. I think shaw wants to constantly remind you to pay for more channels with the annoying not uthorized , call this to subscribe message. no! I will not. I will go back to bell before that happens. comparing to other epgs on flexablity, shaw is back in the morse code era.
not able to disable the hdd for constantly writing and rewriting is another annoying so called great feature . most other pvr hdd sprung to action when needed. that's my gripe for the day. we will leave out bad picture quality for another time.
The Shaw guide sucks in comparison to Bell's guide. But the HD picture on Shaw is better on most HD channels when compared to Bell. Bell HD used to be the same as Shaw's picture about 3-4 years ago, until Bell started compressing the heck out of the signal so they could add more HD channels. Some of the channels that look very similar to Shaw are TSNHD1/2 and the HD Sportsnet channels. ABCHD, CBSHD. NBCHD and FOXHD all look bad when compared to Shaw.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned here but I found a serious bug with A28 guide first seen when it launched months ago...

When you have both tuners currently recording and you press the SOD (Shaw On Demand) button, it'll try to load SOD menu and then suggests an error because both tuners are in use (SOD needs one of the tuners to tune to one of the pre-assigned frequencies/channels for SOD streams). The error is legit and fine but the problem is that the currently recording channel will be switched to another (the one it was on before the current recording started to be exact). The current recording will be stopped and a new one restarted on this wrong channel, although the recording end time and the description from your recording listing use the correct info.

Here's an example. Say the box is showing CBC live on tuner 1. Your scheduled recordings start with ABC on tuner 1 and CBS on tuner 2. That means the box now shows ABC. If you now press the SOD button, the box try to load SOD and fails. It'll then stops the current ABC recording, starts a new recording on CBC with listing description all says ABC and ends at the time set for the ABC program.

I discovered the problem on the first day the A28 guide software was loaded a couple months ago. At that time I thought my low-system memory Pace box was the culprit. Today, I saw it happened on my relatively new DCX 3400.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I tried to recreate this on a DCX3400 here in the office and definitely do not see the same behaviour as you describes. Had tuners on 2 disctinct channels. Set up recordings on 2 different channels. Watched both recordings engage on new channels and let run for several minutes. Pressed VOD button and gott generic 33334 error needing at least 1 tuner. Checked both channels and still on correct chaan and list showing single entries of both.
I really have no idea why this would happen for you though. 'm in a differnet system then Vancouver but we would think the behaviour would still be the same. Perhaps see if anyone else can reproduce it or call Shaw to have them test over the phone with you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^^^
Thanks for trying to recreate the problem, Shaw Guru! I tried it just now and couldn't make it happen. I can't remember any more the exact situation that triggered it. I'll have to be able to positively recreate it before I call Shaw. The thing is I almost never use SOD. The only times the problem occur are when I accidentally hit that button. We'll see...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Definitely let me know if you figure out the sequence to reproduce it and I'll try again and escalate it from my side as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I sent a detailed report of the guide errors for Showcase to Shaw at the link provided earlier in this thread. The reply was very discouraging.

"Our apologies for the delay in responding to your e-mail. We understand your frustration pertaining to the guide information and we apologize for the inconvenience. The information you see on the guide is the information that the networks provide to us. Unfortunately, if they do not include a description of the episode, we are unable to include the additional information in our interactive programming guide."

So they blame Showcase, and don't even report the problem to the data provider.

Does anyone know who the data provider is for Shaw?

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is a disappointing response from Shaw regarding guide errors. The guide information for the program Eastenders on Vision TV is continually missing beyond the current week. Vision TV's response to this issue is as follows:

If you are not seeing EastEnders listed on the VisionTV schedule on your "on TV guide" can you let us know who your cable or sattelite provider is and what city you are in. This will help us to know who is not showing our schedules properly. We send all the TV cable and satellite compnaies our schedules and they all have EE on then for sure !

Thanks so much,

VisionTV

So it seems that even if the program information is provided it still may not get into the guide.

·
Super Moderator
17,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Shaw (and most cable companies in Canada) use Rovi as their data provider (formerly known as Gemstar-TV Guide). Tribune Media Services runs the Zap2it.com web guide and also supplies guide data to the telco TV providers using Mediaroom, among others.

When I've had a question about the accuracy and completeness of the Shaw guide, I used to check Zap2it. If they both showed the same info, you can assume the network is at fault since these are the 2 main guide providers in Canada. If Zap2it has more complete info, then you can assume that Shaw/Rovi is at fault.

@RalphG, since Zap2it doesn't show any episode info for EastEnders either, it seems the problem is Vision TV. It may be worthwhile following up with them.

@andyk, Zap2it shows episode info for both NCIS and House on Showcase, so it may be worth it to follow up with Shaw. You can tell them that Zap2it and MTS TV have the correct episode info. I don't know if you can contact Rovi directly. I've contacted Shaw about missing/incorrect guide info in the past and it eventually got corrected, although it was a long, slow and painful process.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've got Zap2it on my iPad and often use it to check future programming (because it's amazingly quick compared to the Shaw interface and has the feature to block out channels I don't have [what an amazing concept!!!]). It's not perfect but there are much fewer generic episode listings than the Shaw guide.

·
Registered
169 Posts
@RalphG, since Zap2it doesn't show any episode info for EastEnders either, it seems the problem is Vision TV. It may be worthwhile following up with them.
Zap2it does not show detailed episode info. for Eastenders, just a generic description but at least it does show the program's scheduled dates and time on Vision TV for the next two weeks. Shaw's guide shows the schedule for the current week only and shows other programming for the following week.

It's as if the guide information is being provided by the broadcaster but it is not being updated in the Shaw guide on a timely basis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The troubles with the vagaries in recording series have been documented for some time in this thread and I believe I read in an earlier post that a revision to the A28 guide is being tested. A 330 post thread should be evidence enough that there is at least one problem.

Can anyone confirm when a (hopefully) working version is due to be released?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Progam Guide Data

I've tried twice more to get Shaw to update the guide errors for Showcase without success.

Replies from Shaw - eCare Technical Support.

Second reply is interesting.

"Our apologies for the delay in responding to your e-mail. We will elaborate on the challenge at hand pertaining to the update of the guide information. The interactive programming guide is solely managed by Shaw Cable, as we are the only service provider to create our own software and firmware updates for all terminals. Although the proper information can be seen online and on Bell TV’s programming guide, the software used in these instances are far different than those used for the Shaw’s interactive programming guide. Last minute changes to the programming cannot simply be updated in a matter of minutes or hours. We need between 7 to 10 days notice prior to any changes being made to the programming by the network in order for the updates to take effect. We apologize for the inconvenience and understand your frustration."

I tried again on Jan 3.

"I understand what you are saying about last minute updates and running your own software / firmware.
But the listings I'm concerned about are not last minute changes. Showcase CA publishes their schedule well in advance of the 7-10 day period you mention. Right now complete information is available for Jan 16 on their website and Jan 13 on Zap2it."

"We do fully understand your position in that the information you’ve cited is available directly from the broadcaster as well as from other sources. However, the information that we receive from our sources is updated as quickly as it is possible for us to do so at this point. What I would recommend is that you visit our website shaw.ca and complete the Customer Feedback form there. This form will go directly to our corporate office for review and will be the best means by which to convey your request for this information to be updated more frequently. We do appreciate your patience and your understanding in the meantime."

·
Registered
956 Posts
Shaw Reply said:
as we are the only service provider to create our own software and firmware updates for all terminals
This is the first time I've heard this...I was under the impression that the software and firmware were 3rd party applications on these boxes.

It does appear as though Shaw has the ability to pick and choose what features are/are not activated on the software and firmware, but I don't believe for a minute that they create the actual software and firmware.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: new guide on Pace Tahoe

I got the new Guide upgrade (20.2) on my Pace box early Tuesday morning and ever since then when I turn the box on the picture comes on but there is no audio. I discovered that if I press the swap button on the remote the audio comes on. Also I've lost the bypass feature of the box (no red light on display).I contacted Shaw and they reset the defaults, but that did'nt do anything to restore the audio on turn on.They said they could'nt help me on the bypass function. I suppose it could be worse but it is annoying.

321 - 336 of 336 Posts