Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
As I stated, same channel, later time, like often happens on TLC and Discovery, these shows are not on any 'other' channels, for the most part. At any rate, I am hoping this will eventually get solved but, since Shaw doesn't consult the end users, I doubt it ever will.

By the way, thanks very much for your updates on the releases. At lease we can get a taste of when next to be further disappointed. But seriously, I do appreciate the update from you, Shaw Guru.
I totally agree with you JetRanger, this whole thing is pretty confusing and disheartening...I almost wonder why they bother upgrading at all. It seems as though everything they do (whoever 'they' is), is so archaic that it's hardly worth it.

The software/firmware on these machines seems so clunky. I mean these things are basically just computers but they can't perform simple calculations like % full. The only reason I can think of is because of lazy programming.

A further problem that makes it all worse are the program descriptions that are in the guide. If the box is programmed to make a distinction between "New" and "Repeat" then why aren't all programs tagged as such?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
All programs are supposed to have a tag of New or Repeat however this often is missed by the company (Rovi) that updates the guide. Often without a tag the PVR will not know whether to record something or not.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A bit off topic, but fairly acceptable rumours have it that Apple bought Rovi. Maybe we'll see some better software out of them.

And I was told by my Shaw Tech Guy that there was a glitch in not being able to see the HD channels. I don't watch much live anymore, but thanks for the hint on Pausing for 10 seconds and then hitting Play.

The thing is the Shaw Tech Guy said I wouldn't be able to record series from those channels, but I see that people have been doing so with success, so thank you for those tips as well.

I do like A28, even with some of the new bugs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My mistake: Apple has actually entered into a multi-year licensing agreement with Rovi.

Still, with Apple's input, I'll bet our guides will improve, although as many have said, it is up to the cable provider which features it introduces.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i hope it improves, because the insane amounts of incorrect guide programming is messing with my recordings quite alot.

not to mention that they can't even add descriptions for certain shows, like "weeds" which for the 3 years ive been watching it has apparently been about "a suburban housewife tries to cope with the loss of her husband by selling drugs" which hasnt been the plot for a while...

the guide is a lazy mess of half assed programming by half ass programmers and shaw honestly should've dropped and moved to something more advanced quite a while ago.

hopefully it starts to improve, even a little bit.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm not entirely sure if the following two issues are Guide related but the first is so I will post these both here.

When trying to search manually in the guide, if I go ahead a day or two and then up a page, if I then try to go in any direction, it skips to the page containing whatever channel is being advertised at the bottom of the window. At first I thought I was accidentally clicking on the ad at the bottom of the guide window but tonight I was able to repeat this issue several times without fail despite having the highlighter in the middle of the page.

The other issue is when skipping forward through commercials in recordings. Sometimes it will skip ahead about 5 minutes or more even though we are only pushing the 'skip' button that is supposed to be 30 seconds. It seems to be inconsistent and is not easily repeatable. I don't know if this is a problem with the guide or with the new DCX3400s we have but I am thinking it is probably guide related.

·
Registered
325 Posts
skip forward problem

I, too, find a rather inconsistent response to hitting the skip forward 30 sec button. Sometimes it seems to be at least 1 minute but you never know for sure. Often I have to back up.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Another annoying thing I have noticed is the 'Recording Finished' box that pops up at the end of EVERY recording now. I can't remember this happening as often before A28 came along. Now that the fall season has begun, we are recording a lot of shows while watching the recordings. When you get this message every half hour popping up on the screen it's a real pain, especially since you can no longer just get rid of it by pressing the Exit key. Maybe that is the root cause of this problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another annoying thing I have noticed is the 'Recording Finished' box that pops up at the end of EVERY recording now. I can't remember this happening as often before A28 came along. Now that the fall season has begun, we are recording a lot of shows while watching the recordings. When you get this message every half hour popping up on the screen it's a real pain, especially since you can no longer just get rid of it by pressing the Exit key. Maybe that is the root cause of this problem.
I was pretty sure this happened before too, and all you had and still have to do is press the OK button on the remote.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Thanks antonk,

I'll give that a try. I got so used to hitting the 'Exit' key I will now have to retrain my thumb.:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Exit key has always scared me, especially before I switched my Pace for the 3400, because it stops recordings. It was scarier with the Pace because when you got the remote freezing issue and you thought you just didn't press it hard enough, you'd press it again and bam, stopped recording.

That's why my thumb was trained on the OK key and why I never noticed that anything changed with A28.

Has anyone actually told Shaw of the A28 problems like the Favs, or are we all just discussing it here assuming that Shaw somehow knows and is doing something about it?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And for me, I found it 'safer' to use the Exit rather than OK for similar reasons. Every time the 'Delete' option would come up it was 'safer' to use the Exit key than run the risk of losing the recording altogether.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I told them on Sep 5th.

They seemed unaware. My final post (Sep 11) was to refer them to the wiki:

Here's the correspondence:

According to Wikibooks - Motorola DVR/Firmware and Software this is fixed in the next
release:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Firmware_and_Software#Version_78.44_-_A28p0-2.0908.r4

Version 78.53 - A28p0-4.1005.r-8
Available for Models: All
Available Date: 2010-07-01
VOD Version: 06.21
MACGclnt (ITV Engine) Version: 34.45
Bugfixes:
Guide data now goes to 15 days
Navigation speed improvements
Favorites list view no longer resets after exiting info screens
Memory addressing improved for astb's containing greater than 128MB of RAM

When will Shaw be rolling that one out?

Quoting Shaw Internet Vancouver Help <[email protected]>:

[Hide Quoted Text]
Hello Ed,

We have heard some mixed reports about the list being redone working or not,
although we haven't heard of testing methodology being used. Please try disconnecting
the power and the coaxial cable to the terminal, then reconnect the coax and then the
power to the unit. If this does not work please let us know.

Thanks again

New firmware bugs. As of yesterday, there is a bug with the 'Favourites'
display. If I do any of several things, e.g. press INFO, set a
recording, I get taken back to Channel 3 on the favourites screen. That
is very annoying if I'm trying to set up a series of recordings on a
given channel. Any idea if/when this will be fixed.

--
Ed Guy

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
DCT 700 and 2500 models were upgraded across the country last night to the new version of guide.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes edguy: The favorite defaulting back to the top of the list is a known issue with the version of firmware. As you can see the firmware currently in use was released in Summer 2009 and implemented by Shaw in Summer 2010. Almost 1 year later. The latest patch that will fix this issue was just recently released and at this time I have no idea when or if Shaw will convert to the newer A28 V8 firmware. Following the same timeline I would expect that it would be corrected before next summer if Shaw does indeed decide to go with the new version of guide. If i hear anything different I'll post it here but for now it's a wait and see thing.
I understand that it can be very frustrating dealing with known issues that are inherent in the firmware right from the manufactorer. Shaw traditionally does not like to rush to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware as there are often bugs that do not get reported for the first few months that ultimately are more inconvenient than any bugs that are corrected. A fix will come eventually I'm sure but just not sure when.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my PVR, when perusing favourites, when I find something interesting I hit INFO. Either using the goback or INFO again puts the guide to channel 2 (lowest channel). What a PAIN!! You have to scroll all the way back to the channel where you left off.

I wrote Shaw, their response was less than enthusiastic.
This is super annoying. How is this feature seen as an upgrade? Can I revert to the last version? Every single time I hit info it drives me crazy...
I sent an email to Shaw to let them know about this too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't think it was meant as a feature - just an annoying bug that they will hopefully fix soon. I've already mentioned this before, but I also don't like that unlike before, if you hit Guide at say 4:57pm because I want to see what will be playing at 5, it still shows the 4:30pm shows by default. And since I like looking at what I'm about to watch on the very left, I have to scroll over 3-4 times until the 4:30pm disappears and then scroll back so that I'm in the right place.

When I hit Guide at 4:57, I really don't care what shows are ending - I just care what's about to come on. I think it was perfect before when it went ahead about 5 mins to :30 or :00 and you could still go back if you wanted by pressing the left arrow just once.

I haven't complained to Shaw, but if someone agrees, please feel free to.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I agree that the way the guide used to move ahead was better.

As for the 'info' then return to Ch 2 problem, I'm not having that happen on our 3400s. One suggestion to get back to the channel you were on before is to just punch in the channel number and the guide should jump to that channel for you, at least it always has for me. I realize this is still a pain but I would imagine it is a lot faster than scrolling all the way.

What model of PVR is this 'info' jump problem happening on?

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is happening on any box that has the A28 guide. It's only when you're using Guide to look at your Fav channels, not just the regular guide. But since my Fav list is every channel I subscribe to, I use it all the time when I use the guide so I'm not also seeing what I'm missing out on. So yeah, very annoying when it goes back to 2 (which is the first Fav on my list) after doing the Info.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Ah, I stopped using the Favourites over a year ago as I got tired of losing it every time Shaw had to do a reset on my boxes.

201 - 220 of 336 Posts