Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems that I am now eligible for Ultimate TV, most likely due to the new 3801.

I'm currently on classic TV and have a rather slow internet connection. It is 2.2 megabits down and about 400 kilobits up. It takes forever to upload pictures!

If I switched to Ultimate, would this improve my internet as well? Or should I be asking in a different section on the forum?

·
Registered
470 Posts
yes it should improve your internet speeds a lot. when i was just on internet i was getting 4 megs down and .5 up now im getting 7 mbs down and 1.5 up and its consistant.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Umbrau

Another option to switching is ask MTS what profile you are on, there are different speeds for classic.

15 Mbps is TV only - Each TV stream is worth 5 Mpbs
17 Mbps is TV/Internet - Leaving about 2 for internet (your prob on this)
20 Mbps is TV/Internet - Leaving about 5 for internet
26 Mbps is TV/Itnernet - You usually get a DL of about 8.5 Mbps on this

The reason for the different speeds is line quailty. If your loop is sh*tty or farther from the DSLAM we would put you at about 17 so your connection is stable and the signal is higher. Call Techsupport and ask them to check your levels, if you qualify for higher than 17 they will bump you up. If they are worried your signal is to low, they will not. That being said, if your signal is to low to go past 17 on classic, chances of you getting VDSL2 (Ultimate) Which syncs up at 28 or 35 are pretty slim. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe I'm on the 17 megabit profile. Last time I talked to Tech support, I was told that they could switch me to a faster profile but it would be a terrible experience because the internet and tv would not work well.

I just looked at some of the statistics on my gateway. The SNR is 36 and the SNR margin is 10.5 dB. And with an uptime of almost 18 days, it shows 439,485 FEC errors. If I did my math right, that's an average of 1 error every 3.5 seconds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
awesome you got those numbers. ok if your SNR margin is 10.5 at 17 Mbps i think it is safe to get them to bump you up to 20 mbps which would probably bring your SNR margin to about 8 - 8.5. You need at least 6.5 - 7 for everything to work properly. when i am installing i always bump it up as high as i can when i feel it is safe to do so. Just call tech support and say you want to be bumped up to the 20 mbps profile. Also, ask them how far away you are from the DSLAM because technically your signal should be higher than that. usually at 17 on a good install and when conditions are met, at 17 Mpbs i get about 16 dB. and at 26 i get about 8 - 10.5. Things than can cause you to have problems are

-bad RG
-bad POTS splitter
-bad loop, outside cable conditions
-bad VDSL port
-distance
-End Taps

How long have you had MTS TV? Are you in an overhead or underground area (are the telephone lines on the pole or are they buried), if they are buried, do you know if the installer checked the Pedestal (this is where an endtap is and if not cut can cause many problems)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I talked to tech support and they were unwilling to change our profile to a faster one. She also said that they did not have any information about DSLAM distance, that was something sales had.

We've had Classic MTS TV at this house since we moved in (August 2008). I was not here for the install and my wife does not remember if they checked anything at the pedastal. I think the phone wires are underground.

·
Registered
470 Posts
mts stopping pair bonding?

hey all,
my neighbour tried to get the new mts service but her address is apparently not eligible, out of curiosity I entered my number on the mts website and mine to is saying not eligible even though i already have the service. is this just a glitch or did mts stop doing this? im kind of concerned about this incase mts stops providing me the service in the future. thanks in advance Gordon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Gordon1111 the online service check is not always accurate.

I had a friend that just moved from Transcona to the initial section of Royalwood and was told that the house they bought was not eligible for Ultimate when he called in to change his services.

A few days later MTS called him back to say that after the request had been reviewed at a higher level he was indeed eligible for Ultimate. I have not been over to their house to see what box was put in by the installer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
well what i did was I called mts customer service and yes its no longer available at my address yet i have the service. Thinking that they may be wrong i also called the mts Advocate office Customer relations and they said that the facilities are no longer available to my address. What im concerned is I dont know if they will disconnect my service or what they are going to do. I love the service and want to be able to keep it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If its no longer available for your street MTS may have run out DSLAM TV ports for your area.

I don't think they would disconnect you, but other people that want Ultimate service may have to wait for somebody to move out of the area to free up a port, or wait for MTS to come in and enlarge the DSLAM.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I went through something similar where my home was in the red area (no service) for high speed internet however my service was working fine. If the onyl changes you make are things like channel selections you should be fine as it would not make sense to be actively going out and disconnecting service from paying customers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
talked to mts today apparently they stopped all the pair bonding until april/ may as they ran out of the new boxes for the setup. they said "they are in a lot of demand and ran out of boxes" so thats good news that it will start up again soon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts