Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you've ever been interested in getting MTS Ultimate TV service but were unfortunate to be too far away from the DSLAM, MTS now has in service new 2wire gateways that have increased the distance from 800 meters, to over 1200 meters. It's worth checking out!

mtsguy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Apparently it features "a new HomePNA chipset that doubles coax bandwidth and enables support for more in-home video streams". So maybe the whole cabling issue will be finally solved.

Also of note is that the web seems to indicate that it is a black box instead of the white/cream colour of the original.

·
Registered
470 Posts
yes, i just got this installed yesterday acually, nice setup

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah, it is the 3801. I've seen the other guys at work talking about them. It may be a while before I'm back in the IPTV groove (lol, they have to "train" me. I used to be a contractor)

mtsguy, since I haven't been trained on the new pair bonding, I'm only guessing here. Do you mean just the 3801 alone increases distance or are you also referring to pair bonding? I didn't think that was the case...?

I've been asking around about my eligibility since I'm out of range, and it sounds like some of the general public is already getting this stuff. I am so anxious to get this service :(

gordon1111, did they mention any reason they used the 3801 over the 3800? I thought I heard they were in limited supply :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
no acually they didnt, im not even sure what box i have to be honest. although they did do the pair bonding. The guys who did my installation said i was their first installation of this new setup, he did set up 3 boxes in my basement though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
yes sure i can post a picture but not tonight though tommorrow i will.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also wonder if existing customers can upgrade? Is it possible to contact MTS to upgrade or should I just leave it as is if it's working fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You do not need to upgrade. These new RG's are for customers that are too far away from the DSLAM. It is the difference of getting service or not getting service. These are extending the reach WITHOUT using pair bonding.

About Pair Bonding

Pair bonding will allow it to go even further. Pair bonding utilizes 2 VDSL2 ports syncing up at 17 meg each and transmitting on 2 different pairs (as oppose to the 35 meg on one pair that the 2wire usually syncs up at) The lower your speed, the stronger your SNR and the farther it can travel, hence the 2, 17 meg pairs. Once the 2 pairs are at the prem, another unit takes the 2 signals and merges them together to create the 35 meg service for the 2 wire. This is in its infancy and dont know how much it will be used. for 2 pairs per customer, we are going to start running out of spare pairs. Especially on the older underground areas.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Would there be any benefit for existing customers to get this new box, though? I've noticed a bit of "interference" on a few of my HD channels this past week...

·
Super Moderator
17,042 Posts
@Mozza If you've had Ultimate TV for a while and just started having occasional "interference", it's not likely that putting a 3801 in there would solve the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, i dont know how much clearer i can make this. The new RGs are for customers that were ineligible due to being to far away from the DSLAM. It is just lengthening the last mile. It will not fix your "unresponsive" hd.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey mozza, if you want to elaborate on your issue, maybe we can kindly try to help you figure it out ;) Obviously in a different thread, but we are here to help... Right mtsguy? :D

Anyway, I asked today and I'm anxiously waiting to hear whether I will even need pair bonding now that they will be rolling out the 3801's. Can't stand the wait!

·
Registered
338 Posts
In reading that the 3801 has a beefed up HomePNA support it might be possible to get one of these gateways if you are having the shuttering/freezing issue with the VIP1200. You would likely need to spend time making a case for this though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
In reading that the 3801 has a beefed up HomePNA support it might be possible to get one of these gateways if you are having the shuttering/freezing issue with the VIP1200. You would likely need to spend time making a case for this though.
Yeah - this was what I was getting at. I'm not having any problems that are really, really horrible - just occassional pixelation (maybe twice every 2 hours?) and sometimes a slow response to the menu/guide, etc. If a newer, updated box would be even slightly faster, an upgrade would be worth it.

Think of it like this - if I have a 2010 model vehicle that gets 40MPG, and I could get a 2011 model that gets 42MPG for free... why wouldn't I try and get it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
@Mozza - The issue I was describing is the one where, in certain circumstances, you pause or skip PVR content and then resume play the the picture completely stops for a few seconds repeatedly after that. It basically makes the PVR nearly unusable.

The issues you describe sound like old batteries in a remote (slow menus) and source errors (pixelation). A new gateway is not going to solve those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts