Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the video of the new system, BGY11. If you have a portal in your system, it would be interesting to see how responsive that one is. I would expect a bunch of the guide delays we see in the original gateway environment is from the communication of the guide data to the portal which would not be needed on the new gateway for the tv directly connected to the gateway.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I read BGY11's experience with the new hardware and have to add my own experience. I have bad news. About a week ago I installed the new Gateway, the XG1-A HDPVR (with no portals except the built-in one) and it has the same guide slowness issues as the old hardware.

It was great at first, but guide performance has declined to the point that now just vertical scrolling/paging (at the current time of day) results in a blank guide for 35 seconds, which then takes another 10 seconds to fill in completely. But that isn't the end of it... the program info at the top left then starts flashing every few seconds for another 60 seconds (about 20 flashes) before it finally brings up the episode info (and the channel icon).

Nearly 2 minutes to complete a simple vertical scroll of the guide using the latest and greatest hardware. Guess I'll be using the Android app a lot more often than I planned.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Did you watch my video? I didn't notice the guide that slow! I've also never noticed the flashing program info.

Odd......

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
What frequencies does the Gateway and Portal use communicate? I have a 4-way bidirectional splitter good to 2GHz between the two and occasionally the portal says its unable to communicate with the gateway. Signal levels all checked out when it was installed a few days ago and Pace boxes rarely had issues with levels.

EDIT: I see its MoCA so 1.65GHz max... hmm... may have to go under the house and check the cabling... BAH!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am not sure what the differences will be with the 3635 vs the current(newly released Gateway version). The possibility of a 1TB hd does not do it for me........the current Visions flyer had some real good news for me though !!

Visions Electronics

4 TB........ah........great !

·
Registered
949 Posts
There's a company out of Vancouver that has had a 4TB for sale for a while now. 6TB coming soon as well. They have a website and can also be found on eBay, CL, Kijiji as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think JKR1963 was referring to the fact that these are combined units and one does not have to build one's one from separate components if you don't wish to .Lots of people here have no problem with doing their own but lots of others will surely welcome these pre made units .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes sherds, that is correct.....plus they are certified to work with the Shaw equipment. I am not sure what the max capacity of a drive could be....would have to research and check that out (re 8 TB etc). I prefer to just buy one that is gtd to work.......and I have a good salesman that will give me a big discount !!

Just because there is an 8 or 10 TB drive does not mean a box can handle it....the old limit for 3400's etc was supposedly 1 TB......I did not test anything large.

4.5 TB with the internal and external.....that is pretty big......

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
FYI to all: The original Gateway had a 6TB external drive limit. I have no idea what it might be for the newest model but it may just be the same.

I'm currently using a 3TB RAID array with my original Gateway and it is typically about 50% full. A 4TB plug and play option would have been great back when I built my setup. It would have been a lot less work and expense.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Just for my own curiosity, does anyone know if those 1 tb, 6tb etc limitations are hardware/software involved or some sort of arbitrary limitation placed for who knows what reasons ?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I would guess it is likely a filing system limit in the firmware/software. That is purely a guess so I realize this post isn't very useful. I'll try and see what my inside sources have to say about it. I used to have a pretty short connection to an ARRIS guy but I haven't heard from him in quite some time now.

·
Super Moderator
56,825 Posts
Most of these limitations have typically been related to the firmware. They may put these limits in place since these STBs are not that powerful and if you have too many recordings, it may slow the STB performance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was going to buy this new system about a week ago, but then lost my interest for now. I was at Visions and found out that you do need to have an installer come out if you want more than the main unit. Moca filters before the system and to contain old school systems or something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new gateway has a wd5000luct hard drive in it (2.5"). This supports "up to 5 simultaneous HD video streams". I am assuming that is uncompressed and it can therefore handle the 6 compressed Shaw streams. I was hoping to replace the drive with an enterprise unit (like I have done with my extender), but I think this might be one of a very small number of 2.5" drives available for DVR use. Hopefully it lasts longer than my last gateway drive (3.5 years). As for the gateway itself, it doesn't seem much different from the previous version. The only differences I can find are that you can turn the built-in portal off, which is good as I still have this strapped to the wall by my electrical box, and it's much quieter.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Given that this is the New Gateway thread, and that Raven mentions disabling the built in portal, it would be the XG1

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
i know this is an old thread but used XG1v3s are quite affordable now and the only thing stopping me from jumping in is the fan noise .I would have to set it up in our sleeping space in our tiny apartment and my partner is very sensitive to noise so i wonder if anyone with XG1 with similar variables could comment.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't believe they have a fan. Haven't actually figured how to open one up but there's no vent. These models use 2.5" HDD allowing them to keep cooler than the older models. Even the DCX3510 didn't have a fan.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts