Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
If memory serves (and it doesn't always) they did try it in testing but they "didn't like how it performed". Yet others using the same hardware (In the U.S.) seemed to have made it work. Again, relying on my crappy memory, I believe they mentioned something about if they were to enable it it would also have been used for the internet service to avoid conflict with current modem/router combos. They decided having independent hardware for each service was the best route for them.

I'm pretty sure that is accurate but if not someone will correct me in short order.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well, looks like I'm having audio dropout issues.... Darnit! I've seen it with both Live, and on-demand content, and when live, I could back up a few seconds and play back without the dropout in the same spot.

... Edit: "May" have been a flaky HDMI cable. Noticed it seemed looser than my other ones in my AVR. It wasn't the cable included with the Gateway

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It doesn't have that mode. (that's the same thing actually - in the Guide options, it's HD Channel Grouping or something like that).

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a business package which gives me unlimited Internet for the most part. It isn't a big deal since cable is only useful for sports.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Is Shaw using the dcx3635? The company I work for is going to be using the dcx 3635 1tb wireless and the ip815 media player. Should be interesting due to the wireless on the gateways is usually crap.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Doubtful. I won't be surprised if they are just going to stick with Gateway moving on. Now that the XG1 combines the Gateway HDPVR and a portal, there really isn't a need anymore for them to support yet another piece of hardware.

For those who don't like the Gateway system, I don't know what else will be done.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone located a detailed manual for the Gateway HDPVR (XG1-A)? The skimpy one on Shaw's website shows two HDMI ports Output to TV as well as an Input. The Output port is understood, but what is the Input for? Can it be used in place of an HDMI switch?

Thanks in advance...

MW Guy

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That port isn't active (well, it might be, but there's no way to access it on the current firmware).

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I figured as much. To date, I have submitted 2 requests to Shaw via email for detailed information on the Gateway PVR with no response. Telus is looking better every day...

·
Registered
139 Posts
How is the lag on the guide on the new unit compared to the old one? My first gen is horrible. Hit guide and wait for 15+ seconds for it to populate with the shows. Ya, first world problems. :)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Definitely not as bad as that.

Perhaps I'll do a video at some point to show how this unit is.

As for the HDMI input, I tried plugging my Chromecast into it, but just get a blue screen when I turn on my TV and AVR to the Gateway's input (with the Gateway turned off).

Update: Ok, here's a video showing my impressions and the overall responsiveness of the Gateway HDPVR.

https://youtu.be/ApOz750jSno

·
Registered
842 Posts
I posted in the next big thing thread about cox licensing the X1 and in that article it says that Shaw is buying the dcx3635 . This unit is much newer (released oct 2015) than the XVG v3 has a 1 tb drive and wireless AC i believe among other goodies . Not sure why shaw would release the older model unless they want it out there immediately and could not get stock of the 3635 . Cox happy with X1 trials, makes official announcement about San Diego deployment - FierceCable

41 - 60 of 84 Posts