Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first post, I did some searching and couldn't find anything about this.
I just had TelusTV installed (after a huge rigamarole) and I have a question about networking and the ethernet (network) jack on the back of the box. This is currently used on my main box as the input from the router, but is not used on the other boxes. The question is, can I stream from my computer to the TVs?
I am on a MAC, the one solution I thought of (but haven't tried yet) is to use my airport express and an ethernet cord.
Any thought would be great,
Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
You want to stream AV content from your computer to the TVs via the STB? Not possible. The STBs don't play that content.

On the STBs that don't use the ethernet (presumably because they are using co-axial through the HPNA socket), you can use the ethernet connection to connect whatever network devices (PCs, media players) you wish to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you mean they STB won't play avi's or any content from the PC? In your second sentence, you say I can connect a PC to the ethernet connection, what kind of files can I send to the STB? How would I do that?

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Telus Cisco STBs will not play any content. However, if the ethernet port isn't used, you can use the ethernet port to connect a device such as a BluRay player that can connect to the 'net and to your internal network, a computer or media player if you don't have a LAN connection handy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I see, so the "BluRay player that can connect to the 'net and to your internal network, a computer or media player" would basically play "through" the STB to the TV, so my Airport Express might work, I will give it a try when I get the chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an LG BD570 Blue Ray player with wireless N built in. I stream video from my Windows 7 PC (DLNA) to my tv downstairs. It works great.

B

·
Registered
50 Posts
"Ah, I see, so the "BluRay player that can connect to the 'net and to your internal network, a computer or media player" would basically play "through" the STB to the TV, so my Airport Express might work, I will give it a try when I get the chance. "

This is not true. The bluray player would only be connecting to the network through the STB.

The telus TV box will not play anything but telus tv. No streaming files from anything. The other posters may have confused you a bit with their answers, although they are all correct. I will try and explain what they mean by using my installation as an example.

Upstairs in one room I have the telus box installed. It is wired to a computer in said room via ethernet. I then have an ethernet panel on the wall, which is patched to one in the next room. In the next room there is a switch, this is connected to the next computer and the STB in there.

Now the meat: The telus box is then connected to the coax jack via the HPNA connection. My PVR downstairs connects to the network by connecting to the coax jack and getting on the HPNA. I then have a switch connected to the ethernet jack on the PVR. Connected to this switch I have my Xbox 360 and my media pc. All this does is get them on the network, it doesnt enable them to do anything through the Telus STB per-se. This is what the other posters are talking about, nothing to do with streaming video through the telus box.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Cisco boxes are probably capable of playing media IF Telus enabled them to (which they haven't). The boxes are running Windows CE so presumably may have a 80X86/8 CPU in them.

Microsoft promises that MediaRoom 2 (the OS that Optik runs) will enable Windows 7 PCs to act as STB/PVRs. That is of course if Telus activates this feature on their version of MediaRoom 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, on another note, can I go the other way? Can I send TV content from the STB to my computer? And save it on my hard drive?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sure, if you have a video capture card. You can use any of the outputs from the STB to feed into a video capture card and record data.

Can you do it via ethernet? No. It's all encrypted when it's encoded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts