Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I moved in to my new home last july, it was all networked for me with cat5e cable, capable of a gigabit connection. My router is the Rogers wifi N gigabit router.

What are some of the things that can effect getting a gigbit conection?

In my bedroom i'm running a cat5e cable to port 1 of a gigabit switch... port 1is lighting up orange instead of green. The cable from my router in my bsmt is cat5e(bulider installed). I know nothing is wrong with the switch as i tested it at other locations and whatever port i connected the cable too lit up green.

If the builder installed cat5e wire has a nick or cut somewhere along the run will that effect receiving a gigabit connection?

I installed the ethernet jack in my room my self with leviton wall plate and keystone.... and its working.... just not getting a gigabit connection.

Any advice would great

Thanks

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If you bring the computer to the basement and connect to the switch with a shorter cable what do you get?

Sometimes the network cards don't do the 1G auto-negotiation properly and have to be forced into 1G mode.

Or there could be a problem with the cable.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
568A vs 568B will not affect gigabit. It uses all 4 pairs and it doesn't matter whether 568A or 568B is used on either end. However, it is important, with older 10 or 100 Mb gear, to stick with one or the other in any individual cable, other than crossovers which have 568A at one end and 568B at the other.

If the builder installed cat5e wire has a nick or cut somewhere along the run will that effect receiving a gigabit connection?
A nick probably won't do much, but a crushed cable may cause problems. Incorrectly terminated connectors can also be an issue. One thing that's critical is that the individual pairs be maintained.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies.

Its not a computer in the mastr bed. I have a samsung bluray player which is 100mbps and an fta box which is 100mbps also... but shouldnt the cat5e from the gigabit router to the leviton cat5e stone to port 1 on the switch light up green and the rest orange? Thats how my trendnet works in the living room.

Here is the current connection:
bsmt router port 4 - cat5e cable from bsmt to upstairs masterbed - leviton cat5e keystone - cat5e cable to port 1 on gigabit switch.

I've tried switching ports 1(office computer) and 4(masterbed) on the router to see if its a problem with the router ports but its not that as port 4 now lights up blue(giga) and port 1 green(non giga) on the router. The problem has to either be in the run from the bsmt to mastr bed or i connected the cable to the leviton cat5e keystone wrong.

If i did connect it wrong why is it still working in 100mbps mode? isnt it black or white? meaning theres only two outcomes.... no connection or gigabit connection?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
100 Mb uses only 2 pairs and gigabit uses all 4. You could have a cable that has two pairs connected correctly for 100 Mb, but not all 4 necessary for Gb. Look at the back of the jacks to make sure they're wired correctly according to either 568A or 568B. It doesn't matter which, provided you're consistent at both ends. If that checks, there may still be a fault in the cable or perhaps a bad connection at the connector. There are testers that can tell you about such problems, but I doubt you want to spend the money on those.

BTW, did whoever ran the cables use wire staples? They are a big no no for Ethernet cable, as they can crush it. There are special staples that have a plastic saddle, to prevent crushing. On one job I was on, a couple of years ago, the installer had used wire staples, including to force the cable to follow an inside corner. In the process, he damaged the cable enough that it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gigabit is good for back bone

gigabit uses all the pairs so if you plug it into a live phone jack (ringing?) you might need to buy a new main board ..

10/100Base-T doesn't use the blue pair (used for Phone ) so you can plug your computer in it by accident with out a shocking out come because it doesn't use the blue pair

Make sure your using RJ11 for telephone jacks
and RJ45 for your data what ever speed yopur running

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
Phone lines are unlikely to cause damage. Twisted pair ethernet was originally designed to use existing phone cabling and so can withstand anything likely to be on a phone line. Also, there are transformers that will isolate the NIC from the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts