Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to the Bell Fibe 25 internet service, but found my network of 4 computers using a Gigabit switch, to be pretty much unusable when trying to access each other. Bell has no solutions for me.

My network, consisting of 4 Mac computers (3 desktop, and one laptop), all worked fine when I was on their 7 MB service. All computers are connected via Cat 6 lan cables to my D-Link DGS-1016D Gigabit Switch, which was then connected via another Cat 6 lan cable to the Bell Speadstream modem. All computers could connect to the internet no problem and see each other on the network quickly, no issues. I have to set my computers to a manual IP address because I'm using the Mac midi ports on each computer in a music sytem.

Now with Fibe, once I connect the Gigaswitch to the new Cellpipe 7130 modem they've given me, it takes forever for one computer to see another on the network, and the midi ports are pretty much useless.

I would guess its either an issue with the Cellpipe modem always trying to figure out which IP the Gigaswitch is, or figuring out what IP's the computers are.

Does anyone else use a Gigaswitch with this modem, or would something else work better to connect my computers together?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The Cellpipe 7130 has a 4 port switch built in... first try connecting your 4 computers to the Cellpipe's 4 port switch... if the problem goes away then I would have to think that the D-Link DGS-1016D. ...its auto-negotiation is not negotiating properly with the Cellpipe.

In your new setup the Cellpipe is not just a modem, it's your router too and it's what's assigning the IP's to your computers using DHCP. If the D-Link switch is not negotiating the speed correctly then you'll have problems like you described.

Also you say you have all your computers set to static IP's... well maybe the Cellpipe is using a different gateway IP... not the typical 192.168.1.1

Try letting your computers use dymanic IP (DHCP) and see what IP's they get... then check if the gateway IP is the same as what you had set on your computers using static IP's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me HD. Much appreciated!

Tried connecting my 3 desktop macs directly to the Cellpipe, without the gigaswitch hooked up, and setting them all to dynamic DHCP, but still having the same issue.

When I do this, the 3 computers are getting IP's 192.168.2.15, 192.168.16, etc. ( I tried re-starting the Cellpipe and computers when I did this setting as well)

On the network page on each computer, it says the router is 192.168.2.1.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. Any other suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is anyone else using more than one Mac on the Cellpipe 7130 modem?

If so I'd love to hear what they're network settings are.

Any suggestions appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts