Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where to place this issue as I don't know what the problem is exactly.

I have multiple devices in my house that connect to my wireless Apple BaseStation router, which is in the basement of my 2 story house. This router replaced by Linksys that got bricked during a firmware update.

I have a laptop I use for work, a Sony VAIO, on the 2nd floor of the house. It has a built-in Intel wireless card and is running Windows 7. It originally had Windows Vista on it and was upgrade.

All devices in the house have no problems with the wireless network, from anywhere in the house.

My VAIO will, at least once a day, suddenly lose connection to the Internet and Windows 7 will display a warning symbol over top of the Wireless bar chart indicator in the system tray.

This has occurred with the Linksys router and with the Apple one. When I installed the Apple one, about a month ago, the first two weeks, the lost connectivity would occur very frequently - 4-5 times in an 8 hour day. I took the laptop on a business trip and it never had any problems. When I came home, the frequency of the problem went back to about 1 time per day. With the Linksys, it would not happen daily, maybe every 2-3 days.

I have updated the firmware on the Sony laptop wireless card, from Intel.

When this problem occurs, I click the "Troubleshoot" option that Windows 7 has and it fixes the issue. However, this takes about 2-3 minutes. It has happened when I am using desktop sharing software and VOIP and presenting to people. That 3 minutes is an eternity to get back online and into the meeting.

Based upon everything I am seeing, I believe it is either an issue with Wireless interference or there is something wrong with the network card in the laptop. However, since I never have this problem when I travel, I am leaning more towards something in my house.

Is it likely that a wireless access point, on the 2nd floor, would solve the issue? If yes, can you buy any or does it need to be the same brand as your router?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you need it for work, presentations and the like, is a wired connection not an option? It would obviously be more stable and a lot faster too.

My suggestion would be to relocate the router to the second floor. It should give a better connection and improve speed and reliability.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hard to know for sure. I have had similar problems in the past. I believe it was due to poor signal, interference from microwave oven or wireless phones or ...??? I opted for a wired connection (which took some effort to wire up).

You can always try another channel (usually 11, but you can try others).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts