Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I know this is probably a noob question but if you have a home network with two computers and one laptop linked together...and you buy a computer that will be the main one that others link up to...do you need a network card for the main computer? I have a router that the old main computer used to hook into and the other computer in the LAN has a network adapter.

So...please help...
Thanks

·
Banned
310 Posts
Don't you have a router?

There shouldn't be a "main computer" as they all connect to the router independent of each other.

If you are actually using some sort of internet connection sharing system it's time you left the nineties. :)

I haven't even heard of a computer in the last 7 or 8 years that doesn't have a built in wired or wireless network card.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Almost all new(er) computers don't have a network card per se but have ethernet ports built into the motherboard. Are you buying an off-the-shelf PC or building your own?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As mentioned, the new PC probably has a built in Ethernet port so a separate card is usually not necessary. Connecting the computers is can be as simple as connecting them to the router with cat5e or cat6 cables. You may need to set up DHCP on the router or assign static addresses on the PCs. Wireless networking can also be used but that is another topic. Direct wiring is usually faster and more reliable than wireless.

Home networking does not usually require a "main computer." All computers act as peers and the router assigns IP addresses. Large business networks usually use a main server that does much more than is required for a simple home or home office network.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The dell option is probably an upgrade
I don't know of ANY pc manufacturer of the last 5 years that wouldn't include networking by default :p

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I was pricing a Dell computer recently and was surprised at the Network Card option.

After investigation, and as noted by posters here, the Dell machines have an Ethernet port already so you don't need to buy an additional Network Card to connect to your home network.

It made me wonder how many confused people had the NIC installed because they thought they needed to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts