Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a test while traveling to the US as I am a Canadian Netflix subscriber and wanted to see if it would work.

I wasn't able to log in to netflix Canada from the hotel in Florida. I was expecting some issues as the Netflix US site is not available to canadian. It seems that the service is also bloked to us while traveling to the US.

I also tried login in to the netflix US site and I got an error too.

I haven't troubleshoot more while I was there but wanted to share.

Lego

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When you attempted to login to the US site, did you create a new account or were you using your Canadian site credentials?

You will need a separate account for each region, but you should be able to use the US site when you are in the US and the Canadian site when in Canada. Netflix uses simple GeoIP checking to block people outside the intended region.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
But even to sign up for a free trial with Netflix US you will need a US based credit card. You should be able to go to Wal~Mart and pick up a prepaid card that would work.

Conversely, you likely could have used a VPN while you were in Florida to appear to be coming from Canada. I use a VPN to connect into my office LAN - this has the added benefit of making it appear that you are in Canada which helps you to be able to stream content locked to Canadians - like hockey games from the CBC web site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using my Canadian account.

Next time I will check into using a VPN as I also had an issue of not being able to get the playoff, so with the VPN I would have been able to do both, providing the VPN provider support streaming.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
can anyone reccommend a Canadian VPN local? I am going to be doing a lot of travel to India and Asia in the next 6 months, and there wont be a lot of "english" language programming available...

I have only been able to find US ip vpns ...

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
What do you want to use? Netflix Canada or Canadian web sites like the CBC? You might want to try unblock-us[dot]com which used to be usvideo[dot]org. You can try emailing them and see what they say - I have found them to be quite responsive. Their default setup will cause Netflix to think that you are in the US but I think you can tweak it to also get to Netflix Canada. They are not technically a VPN but you just change your DNS settings on your network setup.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I already use them for fulu access.. i sent an email and i got a pretty rapid response (about 15 minutes wait time) which was basically..

"uhm, no we don't do that" -- "that" being entry INTO Canada from other locals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts