Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Tivo Premiere box to use as an OTA tuner and DVR. I see in various blogs that Netflix works for USA customers, but it's blocked for Canadians. Is this true for Canadians who have legitimate Netflix Canada accounts, and registered their Tivo box with their Canadian address? If so, is this a technical issue or a legal one?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not sure that it answers my questions. Why would I need a VPN (or proxy server?) if I'm looking to get a Canadian Netflix account working on a Canadian registered Tivo machine? Would this somehow "unblock" the Netflix function on the Tivo?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I understand correctly this is a Netflix business issue, and not a legal one. Except for the fact that the Tivo Premiere line "isn't" supported in Canada (even though it apparently was when I called Tivo tech support on Friday to inquire about this), it's Netflix who must do the heavy lifting to get their application working in the Tivo box. I called Netflix to inquire about this and was told that they are definitely looking to support the Tivo Premiere line for their Canadian customers, at some point in the future. I already have Netflix on my PS3 but it seems that this would be an ideal solution for my parents who are looking for an inexpensive OTA PVR box that can also feed them Netflix movies. Despite the tech support sales job, I won't expect anything to be done about this anytime soon!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I borrowed a Premiere from a friend yesterday and will play with it for a few weeks while he's traveling. I changed the settings for my location, and was presented with a screen giving me an option for a Canadian or USA setup. I suppose that this answers the question about supporting Canadian customers. I can't access Netflix, which isn't surprising, but I'm not keen on how the menus work to get there and it wouldn't be user friendly enough for my parents. I'm still looking for a low cost box that I can set up for them to get OTA with a decent guide and give them access to Netflix. As for the Tivo Premiere (which seems to be a very user friendly OTA box), if I have anything relevant to say I will post it in the Tivo area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.