Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a Tivo Premiere box to use as an OTA tuner and DVR. I see in various blogs that Netflix works for USA customers, but it's blocked for Canadians. Is this true for Canadians who have legitimate Netflix Canada accounts, and registered their Tivo box with their Canadian address? If so, is this a technical issue or a legal one?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not sure that it answers my questions. Why would I need a VPN (or proxy server?) if I'm looking to get a Canadian Netflix account working on a Canadian registered Tivo machine? Would this somehow "unblock" the Netflix function on the Tivo?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tivo does not officially support the Premiere or any HD Tivo models in Canada. That means that Netflix Canada or Youtube are not available. "If" by any chance you have access to Netflix APPS on your Premiere, Tivo uses the "Instant Queue" that we do not have on Netflix Canada.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The reason Netflix Canada does not work on TiVos is really business related, as andrela said, that HD TiVo models are not officially supported in Canada, and with that there are not a whole lot of users to make it worthwhile to even support it (as in write a Canadian or a dual USA/Canada Netflix app.)

You could look at it as techcal in how Netflix constructs their apps to be different enough for USA and Canada.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I understand correctly this is a Netflix business issue, and not a legal one. Except for the fact that the Tivo Premiere line "isn't" supported in Canada (even though it apparently was when I called Tivo tech support on Friday to inquire about this), it's Netflix who must do the heavy lifting to get their application working in the Tivo box. I called Netflix to inquire about this and was told that they are definitely looking to support the Tivo Premiere line for their Canadian customers, at some point in the future. I already have Netflix on my PS3 but it seems that this would be an ideal solution for my parents who are looking for an inexpensive OTA PVR box that can also feed them Netflix movies. Despite the tech support sales job, I won't expect anything to be done about this anytime soon!

·
Registered
662 Posts
TiVo Premiere? Are you sure you want one?

Excuse me, but this is the mighty Netflix we are talking about. TiVo is anything but mighty, even though it has a fan loyalty that soars to the heavens ... well at least until recently. Canadian and US Cable companies are the problem. They don't want TiVo DVRs to be successful unless they get a piece of the action. Deals have to be worked out, palms have to be greased, and consumers must then pay through the nose. Welcome to the wonderful world of let's see what the Cable companies can do this month in order to slow the competition down even more.

Forget Netflix for a moment, without the CableCard access, why bother with TiVo? Most Canadians won't bother and besides, the forum about OTA and TiVo here is beginning to make it look like the HD TiVo is now too unpredictable to trust. It starts off great and then TiVo tanks. I've never used it, but after reading all the negative comments mixed in with some good ones, I wouldn't touch the HD TiVo with a 10 foot pole.

Check out this thread (and there are many more that are even worse) and watch how the customer satisfaction falls over time:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95819

-------

Then, there's this:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=190712759718

TiVo has managed to capture only about four per cent of the Canadian PVR market with the standard-definition offering it is still selling, despite having a 20 per cent share in the United States, Yigit said.

About 1.5 million Canadian households, or 12 per cent, have a PVR and just over half of them are high-definition, according to figures from Solutions Research Group. The trend among consumers is toward HD recorders, making it a market TiVo can't ignore if it wants to succeed in Canada.
----

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2009/12/compton-is-first-canadian-cable-operator-to-offer-tivo-hd-dvrs/

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=117424

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/03/rogers-cable-buys-compton-communications/
[Rogers realizes that Compton Cable might one day let Netflix.ca stream through their TiVo DVRs (which are much more user friendly than their own PVRs) and decides to buy Compton to block that from ever happening. If I'm wrong and you can actually stream Netflix.ca from Compton Cable please let me know.]

TiVo is cutting more deals with US Cable companies like Cox Cable to roll out the CableCards to the rest of the Cox Cable subscribers during 2011, but is it too late for TiVo to make a dent in the HD market in the USA? If you read the TiVo forums, it's beginning to sound like the love for TiVo is now turning into hate! Eventually more and more cable and Satellite DVRs (PVRs here) will catch up to TiVo and that should finally be the end of TiVo.

If you buy a TiVo now, what exactly are you going to have in 3 years? Will TiVo be toast? What's that burning smell? Oh, my TiVo is on fire!

TiVo= Turn Its Volume Off

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/tivo-premiere-review/2
[TiVo Premiere Review]

·
Registered
662 Posts
No more TiVos with CableCards for us?

Apparently, Compton Communications (hello, Travis) no longer uses the CableCards with the TiVos (Series 3). You don't say. It could be that the company was and still is so small that there wasn't enough consumer interest anyway, but if there was enough consumer interest to perhaps cause a ripple effect into other areas of Canada through smaller companies, it would be tougher for Rogers to slow things down as fast. Look what happened with Netflix.ca, and Rogers still hasn't completely given up. I wonder what's next.

It's off-topic, but it's important that I mention it's a damn good thing that we have access to both Canadian and US signals (through OTA broadcasts) because it gives us the opportunity to choose whether we want to watch the CHCH feed of shows like "Smallville" or the butchered CW (Buffalo) version with enough snipes to make Global look mild in comparison [throw in the messages about Dish Network not carrying the CW scrolling across the screen a few months ago and I was grateful that I had a chance to enjoy "Smallville" with limited annoyances on the Canadian CHCH (Hamilton)].

Thank you to the OTA broadcasters for giving us more choice and thanks to TiVo for giving so many Canadians the chance to use your wonderful interface. HD might be your downfall, but there are still many people that have very few problems with your HD TiVo's, so perhaps you will soon be ready to move forward into the future. Time will tell. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I borrowed a Premiere from a friend yesterday and will play with it for a few weeks while he's traveling. I changed the settings for my location, and was presented with a screen giving me an option for a Canadian or USA setup. I suppose that this answers the question about supporting Canadian customers. I can't access Netflix, which isn't surprising, but I'm not keen on how the menus work to get there and it wouldn't be user friendly enough for my parents. I'm still looking for a low cost box that I can set up for them to get OTA with a decent guide and give them access to Netflix. As for the Tivo Premiere (which seems to be a very user friendly OTA box), if I have anything relevant to say I will post it in the Tivo area.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The business decision is largely TiVos to not market or support the HD boxes to Canadians, therefor nor find it worthwhile to add Netflix Canada support.

Yes, the larger picture is that Canadian cable providers are not obligated to use Cablecards, at least the same way US poviders are, which is largely why TiVo is not trying for Canada.

TiVo, as an OTA DVR, is pretty expensive really.

The only OTA DVR+ Netflix device for Canada, would be an HTPC, as I see it anyhow.

I would consider a DTV-PAL DVR plus Roku box, if an HTPC is not suitable.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I look at all the options out there, there isn't much available that makes it easy on very casual user:

Tivo, as used in the US, comes very close to what can be considered a "All in one box". Sure it can have a better interface. Maybe one day, Tivo will finish that HDUI. I know that negative people are very vocal. As a premiere user, I think there is way worse than the premiere out there in the DVR world. At least, never missed a show. In Canada, I think Tivo did too little, too late.

The Cable box (I have a shaw MOTO 3416) is what I called the most unfriendly interface, closed system and unreliable that I have used. Some people are fine with it. They may not be as critical or TV may not be as important. They are happy with the cost.

HTPC may be a solution. However, I consider that to use a pretty much dedicated computer may not be for the non-technical and is not really a solution for me. Correct me if I am wrong but the Roku is like the Tivo Premiere: Not officially supported in Canada ?? Apple TV looks good though and would consider it for a system without a PVR. I am very curious to see what the third generation will bring.

Regardless, a multi systems is pretty much what we are stuck with. Yes OTA may be expensive with a Tivo, however might be mitigated with lifetime and how many DTV channels are available in your area

Pokeface: You asked what are we going to have left buying a Tivo in 3 yrs? Well, not many things last 3 years nowadays. That line of thought would have resulted in never buying a computer in 1981 to this day, buying a game system or even a printer. Many of my previous system went up in smoke! With any system at least you will have enjoyed it for the time you had it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Back to the Future

3 years from now, most of my hair will probably be gone. Yes, I am of course talking about the hair on my head. It will also be possible to stream Netflix from the Moon with a wireless connection. One small step for Netflix ... one giant leap for ISPs.

I'm still using my Epson Stylus 600 colour printer that I bought in 1997 (for $373.11+tax= $429.06). I started using generic ink cartridges to save money a number of years ago, but I haven't used my printer that much recently. I think I need to get another ink cartridge since realigning the printer heads (etc.) didn't seem to fix the printing problems I was recently experiencing; I'll try again later.

It might soon be time to buy a new printer and computer. My current PC (it's from 2004, or 2001, I believe) using Windows XP was given to me for free and although it only has USB 1.1 ports, I can live with that for now.

My previous 1997 PC was used until 2010 or thereabouts (with minimal hardware updates -- I even kept the original 2 GB hardrive as is, though recently before getting my free replacement PC, I did add some DVD hardware and software to my old PC).

I also still use my PS2 and have no plans to update to a PS3 or any other gaming system that relies on the Internet to download extra content. I think I'm living in a plastic bubble while the rest of the world uses their fancy cellphones to communicate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011472-1.html
[DTV-Pal DVR is dead, but the identical Channel Master CM-7000PAL lives on]
[Pokey says: TiVo is much better, based on the articles/posts I've read.]

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132681

[List of 'Confirmed' Devices for Accessing Netflix Canada Programming]

North of Calgary recently mentioned that he can get netflix.ca to work with the Roku, but with some buggy results -- after a recent update that made things worse (uses the Netflix.com info, so until it's officially supported, we'll have to wait for another update).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1244062&highlight=roku#post1244062
[Roku+Netflix.ca]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts