Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I signed up yesterday.

I watched Season 1 of The Guild yesterday and a Dreams with Sharp Teeth, a doco about Harlan Ellison.

I have to say, I am quite impressed with the obscure stuff available. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Tried it last night, so far not too impressed. Not enough content and it's not the best service in terms of performance. Could just be they were congested on the first day of launch, but I guess that's what the 30 day trial is for. If I don't see improvement by the time it's my 25th day, I'll just cancel.

I definitely do see potential in the service though, just needs more content and most consistent service.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I asked in another thread but I updated the firmware and still don't know how to accomplish this. I signed up with Netflix on my PC.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I go to playstation network and go to whats new and there is a rectangle with netflix. I proceed and it tells me I can't do this with a browser. I think even though I upgraded to 3.5 and am up to date, I am missing something.:confused:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
OK...There was something wrong with the user id..Maybe I indicated US when first signing up. Anyway I created a new user and now netflix is available to both users. Thanks everyone for comments/assistance!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have not tried it yet mostly because my free time is being taken over by Demon's Souls! I swear that game is more addictive than world of warcrack!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting trial

1. shocked at the poor title depth - it's like Encore Avenue and Peachtree mixed together.
if this is actually what they're offering, and it's not just a restricted teaser selection for the trial, I can't see how this company is competitive. Since it's growing rapidly in the USA, there has to be more title depth than this in the normal service.

So when I search a film I want to see, and I get a "not available" message with the film icon showing, and when I click the film icon, I get 'viewer ratings', does that mean that a) this title is not available in Canada, now or after the trial?, b) this title is not available in Canada during the trial, but it will be once I start paying?

If it's the latter, then this is a good service and I'll use it. If what they're showing is all they have, I won't bother.

2. set up was easy; very easy to use; seamless usage on my iPad; picture quality is fine - not a single hassle.

3. love their 'don't worry' notes to the cable companies - "no news and sports, we don't compete". Right - all you're doing is destroying their high margin pay per view and specialty channel revenue streams. And more power to them for doing it, we've been paying too much for these services for too long

So - it all comes down to title depth for me

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just signed up and watched Resident Evil: Extinction. Good quality feed/ selection could be better; but for 7.99/month, I'll take it. Much better than what the Sony store has to offer.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm trying it out, too. Thought that my connection might have issues (using Bell Rural wireless), but no problem. Selection started right away, never stuttered once. We were online with two laptops at the same time as well. Don't know how they have managed it, but I can't even load a youtube vid without a pause so netflix is nice. Yes, the selection isn't great now, but I'm sure it will expand.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love Netflix!

I agree! I was watching Superbad and talking on my VOIP line and browsing the net and had no issues whatsoever! What a great service!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just watched 12 Monkeys. Perfect delivery, not a single issue. Started in about 5 seconds from selection. Also just tried watching Yojimbo on my iPhone over 3G (no wifi.) Took about 10 seconds to start, but from then on out was perfect (which really surprised me.)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Signed up today on my PS3.

There ARE some really obscure TV and movie titles for sure. Watched Silent Running with Bruce Dern. Screen aspect was 16x9, but picture quality was mediocre at best. Watched episode 1 of Faulty Towers. Pic quality not too bad, but in a 4x3 format.

Sampled some more recent movies and tv shows. Picture quality was much better and the screen format was 16x9. Not bad at all. Sound appeared to be "stereo" but my rear speakers didn't fire once in the 5 programs I watched.

I agree with other posters. It's cool to be able to watch the obscure stuff, but there's a definite lack of substance with this service.
I'll watch closely for a month or two and see what develops.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
They need to add a "quit" icon button. No way to close the app without pressing PS on the controller, and I use an IR remote for everything except games.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts