Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For MythTV users it seems like the Netflix plugin project was abandoned for version 23 so I have not found a way yet to integrate it directly on Linux. Given that my Sony EX700 tv runs on Linux and features Netflix direct streaming to its LAN connection there must be a way...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Stampeder yes the Netflix plugin for mythtv was abandoned. I don't know if you read why but for anyone else it was abandoned because it was actually just a way to manage the Netflix mailing queue from within mythtv.

I would love it if they would develop a Netflix interface for mythtv. There seems to be some resistance to the idea because they don't want people to record the movies. I personally don't care about recording them, I'd prefer not to have to flip over to the Wii input to watch Netflix.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you looked at the the netvision plugin? It has Hulu in it, not sure about Netflix. It basically just launches whatever flash player is associated with the stream.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I'd read that article before, but I always hold out hope that an answer will be found on the Linux side that doesn't require Netflix to change their unfortunate behaviour.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I called Netflix yesterday to inquire about a few things, one of them being netflix on Linux.
The girl on the phone said they've been hear a number of requests for this and the more requests they get for something the more likely it is to happen. This goes for what TV Shows or Movies they offer to what devices or OS's they support.
Just as a side note, apparently Netflix works in BoxeeBox software which does run on Linux. So it is technically possible. I think it comes down to how does Netflix prevent a Linux user from capturing the stream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts