Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas how I can get Media Center to work with my Netflix account?

Apparently under Vista MC there is a Netflix plug-in but it doesn't look like it works currently as it points to Netflix.com. According to the Microsoft site, Netflix should be in the strip on 7MC but I don't have it. Seems to me it was in the RC version of 7 that I had.

Anyone have ideas?

J0dest3r

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I tried the W7 Media Center NetFlix last night, it allowed me to log on, but all attempts to watch failed with "No Internet connection to the server" or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you add or find Netflix to the 7MC strip? Every MC I have checked does not have it in the strip. I think an RC version of 7 I had long time ago had it but my Home Premium at home and Enterprise and Pro at work does not have it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Try deleting everything in the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome directory, launched media center, click Tasks, click Settings, click General, and then click Automatic Download Options, Click Download Now.

I had to do this myself to have it show but now I get the same error Arthur's gets. I wonder if it needs a port open?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try deleting everything in the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome directory, launched media center, click Tasks, click Settings, click General, and then click Automatic Download Options, Click Download Now.

I had to do this myself to have it show but now I get the same error Arthur's gets. I wonder if it needs a port open?
No can do... This didn't work for me. I tried it on my new Dell running 7 Pro. I will try it on 7 Home P on the desktop a bit later.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect it didnt work b/c my Win7 is set for Canada

Digging around on Microsoft I found this.

Netflix in Windows Media Center Overview

“Netflix in Windows Media Center” is available for customers in the United States within Media Center on Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium, and Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008. With a Netflix subscription “Netflix in Windows Media Center” provides the ability to watch Netflix content instantly, manage both instant and DVD Queues, search the entire Netflix library, filter searches by titles that are available to watch instantly, and navigate it all with a remote control.

This article will list the known problems, and steps to resolve common issues found with Netflix in Windows Media Center.

KNOWN PROBLEMS

Installation

Note: The supported Windows Media Center versions are on Windows Vista Ultimate, or Home Premium, and Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 within the United States. It should appear in the “TV + Movies” section of the Windows Media Center experience to the left of Recorded TV.

Problem: I am in the United States but do not see the Netflix in Windows Media Center entry point within Media Center

Trouble shooting steps: There are multiple reasons the entry point might not appear. These steps do not cover every scenario, but should work for most.

1) Ensure you are on Windows Media Center on Microsoft Windows Vista, or Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008

2) Select “Download now” within Media Center to download the latest Netflix in Windows Media Center entry point

a. Within Media Center, select ‘Settings’ under the Tasks row in the main Media Center menu, then go to “Tasks->Settings->General->Automatic Download Options”

b. Select “Download Now”. If Media Center prompts to set up Internet connection complete the steps listed

c. Select “OK” on the “Start Download” dialog. This download can take a few minutes to complete

d. When the download is complete restart Media Center, and look to see if the Netflix entry point is to the left of Recorded TV in the “TV + Movies” row

3) If this did not work, then ensure your localization settings are set correctly to United States
a. Open the “Regional and Language Options” dialog (search for “Regional and Language Options” from the Windows Start Menu search box)

b. On the “Formats” tab, ensure “English(United States)” is selected under “Current format:”

c. On the “Location” tab, ensure “United States” is selected under “Current location:”

d. On the “Administrative” tab click on the “Copy to Reserved Accounts” button, in the dialog that pops up, ensure that at least the System accounts (local system, local service, and network service) check box is selected, and choose OK.

e. Restart the computer

f. Then select “Download now” as in step 1

4) If this did not work, try the following

a. Shut down Windows Media Center

b. Open an administrator command prompt by hitting the windows key, type cmd, right click on the command prompt item and choose “Run as Administrator”

c. Run the following commands:

i. cd /d %WINDIR%\ehome

ii. start /wait mcupdate -u -nogc

d. After this command has completed, start up Windows Media Center, and the Netflix entry point should be to the left of Recorded TV on the TV+Movies row

5) If this did not work, try the following from an administrator command prompt

a. schtasks /delete /tn "microsoft\windows\media center\mcupdate" /f

b. cd /d %WINDIR%\ehome

c. start /wait mcupdate -u

Note: Some unsupported third party Windows Media Center menu editing utilities can impact the ability for the Netflix in Windows Media Center entry point to appear. If one of these utilities is installed on the machine, it is likely this is the cause of the issue, and uninstalling the tool does not always resolve the issue.

Problem: I am not in the United States, but I do see the Netflix in Windows Media Center entry point within Media Center

Trouble shooting steps: This can happen if the “Regional and Language Options” dialog is set incorrectly for your locale

1) Open the “Regional and Language Options” dialog (search for “Regional and Language Options” from the Windows Start Menu search box)

2) On the “Formats” tab, ensure the correct format for your language is selected under “Current format:”

3) On the “Location” tab, ensure your correct location is selected under “Current location:”

4) On the Administrative tab click on the “Copy to Reserved Accounts” button, in the dialog that pops up, ensure that at least the System accounts (local system, local service, and network service) check box is selected, and choose OK.

5) Then select “Download now”

a. Within Media Center, select ‘Settings’ under the Tasks row in the main Media Center menu, then go to “Tasks->Settings->General->Automatic Download Options”

b. Select “Download Now”. If Media Center prompts to set up Internet connection complete the steps listed

c. Select “OK” on the “Start Download” dialog. This download can take a few minutes to complete

d. When the download is complete restart Media Center, and look to see if the Netflix entry point is to the left of Recorded TV in the “TV + Movies” row

Problem: I see two Netflix entry points

Trouble shooting steps:

1) Select “Download now” within Media Center to clear out the second Netflix entry point

a. Within Media Center, select ‘Settings’ under the Tasks row in the main Media Center menu, then go to “Settings->General->Automatic Download Options”

d. When the download is complete restart Media Center, and confirm there is one entry point to left of “Recorded TV” in the “TV + Movies” row

2) If this does not correct the problem

a. Open an administrator command prompt by hitting the windows key, type cmd, right click on the command prompt item and choose “Run as Administrator”, then run the following commands

i. cd /d %WINDIR%\ehome

ii. start /wait mcupdate -u -nogc

b. Restart Windows Media Center and confirm there is one entry point to left of “Recorded TV” in the “TV + Movies” row

OTHER PROBLEMS

Problem: I cannot play content - I get a dialog saying that Windows Media Center has encountered an error and needs to close.

Trouble shooting steps: There is a known issue on some machines that have a very long user agent string in Internet Explorer (over 260 characters). For more information on user agent strings please refer to the following MSDN article. There is currently no supported workaround for this issue as manually editing the user agent string can cause compatibility problems with certain websites.

Problem: I want a different set of movie lists

Trouble shooting steps: These lists are generated based on your preferences, go to http://www.netflix.com/TastePreferences, the four primary lists you rate as watch “Often” will appear in the list in Media Center.

Problem: My username/password did not work in Windows Media Center, but it does work on the Netflix website.

Trouble shooting steps: This could occur if your name has extended characters in it such as certain accents (e.g. õ). You can work around this issue by changing your username on the Netflix website.

Other known issues

· Netflix in Windows Media Center is not supported on Microsoft Windows Extender devices

· Netflix in Windows Media Center is not supported on Windows 7

· Netflix DVD and Instant Watch queues are limited to 200 items within the Netflix in Windows Media Center, queues larger than this will continue to be accessible on Netflix.com

· Some hardware configurations will result in playback quality lower than the Netflix website

Hope that helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also found this...

HAS NOT BEEN VERIFIED TO WORK D/L and INSTALL at your own RISK!

You can try the below steps to fix the issue you are experiencing:

1. Open Media Center, choose Settings, General, Automatic Download Options, and ensure that the 'Download when connected' is enabled. The Netflix tile will appear after the next Media Center Guide download time has passed.

2. Open Media Center, choose Settings, General, Automatic Download Options, and select the Download Now button at the bottom. It may take some time depending on your connection speed.

After the Netflix tile appears within Media Center, you will have to install the Netflix application.

3. Try this direct link for the Netflix software add-on for Media Center.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/D/8/DD8BD495-9A5A-46DB-B95E-A846AF35915E/NetflixInWindowsMediaCenter.exe

Note: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

I hope the above information helps you.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This worked to install it in the strip

After changing my locale to US this command brought Netflix to the MC strip.

Start cmd.exe CTRL-Shift Enter (to get a command prompt w/ admin rights)

C:\Windows\system32>cd /d %windir%\ehome

C:\Windows\ehome>start /wait mcupdate -u -nogc

Now I'm like everyone else getting the check your Internet connection.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we are logging in with our Canadian accounts that is obvious, but it is clearly the U.S store complete with DVD queue. So who's responsibility is it to update this, to work with the Canadian store Microsoft or Netflix?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Although it's unlikely I'll be a subscriber, I hope this effect continues here, just to give the content barons a much-deserved kick in the pants;

The company's numbers certainly point to a possible revolution in how we watch TV. According to new figures released by financial analyst Credit Suisse in the U.S. more than 30 per cent of Netflix subscribers between the ages of 18 and 34 have cut their ties to cable or satellite in favour of streaming Netflix programming.

The number jumps once Credit Suisse breaks out the Generation Y demographic, people between the ages of 25 and 34, where more than 37 per cent have opted to cut cable or satellite in favour of Netflix.
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Price+right+content/3565885/story.html

Sincerely hoping that Netflix can get the content thing sorted out and really shake up the market. IIRC, zip.ca is also taking a crack at a streaming model. Bring it on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, we are logging in with our Canadian accounts that is obvious, but it is clearly the U.S store complete with DVD queue. So who's responsibility is it to update this, to work with the Canadian store Microsoft or Netflix?
I called NetFlix - they asked if it worked in a browser (it does) so they wash their hands. I then called Microsoft and they said it's a 3rd party plugin (which I don't believe, I think MS wrote the code) and they would not support it, and to call NetFlix. Complete crap, it's not like NetFlix coming to Canada is a surprise, at least they could have sent a patch out to point it to the .ca site. Login works I think because if you login to the .com site with your Canadian credentials, it redirects you to the Canadian site so that part of the plugin works. But of course everything else fails.
If anyone finds a work around please let us know.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Reading other forums of similar past issues with internet connection problems it ended up being Netflix's API, but in this case I think it would be MS as we shouldn't have to change our region to the US to have it show up. I've changed mine back to Canada thinking that Netflix is looking for a Canadian PC to work but I still get the same error.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I went through this whole process Wednesday night and was disappointed that I couldn't the MC plugin to work in Canada. I suspect that Netflix will eventually release an updated plugin - the current one probably has some sort of assumption baked into it that was made before Netflix had any international (non-US) customers.

In the mean time, try the IE9 or Chrome features that allows you to create a shortcut to a particular web app from the taskbar and just use that to launch Netflix from your HTPC. The Silverlight client is pretty solid, even if it isn't ideal as a 10 foot UI.

My TV "remote" is a Logitech diNovo mini which works okay for that scenario. If you're using a Media Center remote this solution won't help you much.

That said, I wonder if the Netflix MediaCenter addin has all the features that they have in the Silverlight client...

·
Registered
846 Posts
The issue sounds like it's with Silverlight 4, I found this on the Greenbutton and will try it when I get home.

I also called Netflix with this same error (N8156-6013), but instead of uninstalling Silverlight they told me to go to the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady" and delete the mspr.hds file which they said must have become corrupted. After that, my problem was fixed. Simple as that. :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I hate that blame point finger game. Makes me :mad:

I posted in the Windows 7 SP1 Beta forum a request to have Netflix and ATSC fixed for Canada for SP1. I wonder what they will say.

There is a post over at the green button as well. If anyone has an account perhaps go and post there as well. Ive been wanting to but my account doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Netflix add-on in 7MC is clearly the US version as it has all the goodies for the Disc borrowing part so there is no surprise it doesn't work north of the border. The question is can someone smarter than us tweak it to make it work or are we going to have to wait for Microsoft / Netflix to update it. And that is a big if and when!!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Please discuss further in Netflix coming to Canada thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.