Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 849 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Press Release issued today

LOS GATOS, Calif., July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the leading Internet movie subscription service, today announced it will expand into Canada this fall offering unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed instantly to TVs and computers for one low monthly fee. The Canadian launch will mark the first availability of Netflix outside the United States.

Canadian Netflix members will be able to instantly watch a broad array of movies and TV episodes right on their TVs via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as watching on PCs and Macs.

In addition to representing its inaugural international market, Canada will also mark the first streaming-only service promoted by Netflix.

At the time of launch, the Netflix Canadian service will be available in English only, but the company said it expects to add French language capability over time.
See Post 133 for start of user experiences.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is about time we get a service like this in Canada! I just hope that the monthly fee is similar to what Americans pay and that the offerings will be similar as well!! I will definately pay for this service if it is priced right! I have an ISP which offers me unlimited downloads.... for now!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm excited, especially as I planned on dropping cable soon and going entirely OTA. Hopefully the subscription plans are good and the content is not out-dated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm shocked (in a good way) that they're coming to Canada. I think this is a great development and hopefully will make it easier for other services (Hulu, etc.) to bring content here also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great news. Before Xbox / Netflix introduced geo-locking I was able to use Netflix on my Xbox via a friend that allowed me to share his queue.

Most movies available for streaming were quite old and off the beaten path. They'd throw in a nugget or two from the last couple years but that's about it. For the most part movies were pulled from what we know as MPIX or even lower down the chain. But for $8.99 USD/a month really couldn't complain much.

If you like documentaries it was great. If you like catching up on old seasons of tv series it was great. At the time I was able to get through the 1st couple seasons of 30 Rock (in HD), Weeds and Californication. They also had A-Team and crazy old stuff like that.

The other thing I like about Netflix is they are aggressive at getting on as many platforms as possible. PS3, Xbox, Wii, Ipad, PC, Mac and iPhone soon. Very nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What a good news.

Hopefully English speaking customers in Canada doesn't mean "Excluding Quebec" so that I can subscribe to the service.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great news, I've been waiting for this for some time. I'll be interested in it if it will allow me to dump some of the cable subscription I'm paying for.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Big question will be Canadian programming rights

Could be good if they can get the programming rights for all their current shows for showing in Canada. I guess the other question is will Canadian ISP's block it. After all a number of ISP's have their own VOD for which this will be in competition. In U.S. they can stream to Xbox which I would use. Zune is on the Xbox here so question will be will they also allow Netflix on the Canadian Xbox system. It would appear that a great deal of negotiations will be required.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is great news, im currently subscribed to netflix, for the selection its not too bad, i'm just interested in tv shows, old movies and kids shows.

But i doubt it would be a huge success here unless the ISPs increase their bandwidth caps.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is there any info from the CRTC regarding this? Does their rules apply here? I'm assuming zip.ca don't have to carry a certian number of Canadian DVDs v.s. U.S DVDs?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm excited for this service to start! Although, I am trying to login to the US site to look at their streamed content but it keeps bringing me back to the Canadian site. Any idea how I can get to the American site?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I'm excited for this service to start! Although, I am trying to login to the US site to look at their streamed content but it keeps bringing me back to the Canadian site. Any idea how I can get to the American site?
You would probably need to use a VPN that makes it look like you are coming from a US based IP address. Check out the threads here entitled something like "VPN services that allow Canadians to sue services like Hulu"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just last night I saw a commercial for Netflix on a US channel and was telling my wife what a great deal they had down there. Renting two movies a month from iTunes costs more than what they charge for Netflix.

If they have a good library I may look into it. We are OTA only, so it would be nice to have a great movie selection for relatively cheap.

·
Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
I guess the other question is will Canadian ISP's block it. After all a number of ISP's have their own VOD for which this will be in competition.
I think the ISPs would have a hard time blocking it directly - it would raise all kinds of questions about anti-competitive behaviour.

All they would have to do is introduce low monthly caps on how much you can download and charge outrageous prices for any overage ... OH WAIT! - They've already done that.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US, but had the feature removed in Canada? Like the LG blueray players, PS3, etc? I'm curious if manufacturers will start offering Netflix in Canada as well.

Zip.ca, waiting on your next move.

1 - 20 of 849 Posts