Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
insignia ns-brdvd4-ca, followup

I finally had some time to watch some blu rays on the Insignia player, and I was pretty happy with the playback, no issues.

The unit sounds like a deskjet printer when it first powers up (checks tray for disk, etc). Its loud when jumping around on the disk (chapters, back to menu, etc), but quiet while playing a movie. Video quality was great on a 120hz LCD TV, and on my HD20 projector @ 92", and the sound was fine.

If you are looking for a cheap 2nd or bedroom blu ray player, or if you are looking for a cheap Netflix.ca player, with a bonus blu ray player built in, this one might be for you. Also, The next model up has a front display, better remote and wifi.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I purchased the wifi version of the Insignia Bluray player at Best Buy about 3 weeks ago mainly as a Netflix player...works like a dream. To me this was an excellent deal at $119 and the bluray PQ is as good as my PS3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
which bluray players stream netflix.ca completely wirelessly?

i hope i'm in the right forum, and can get my question asked properly, as i am somewhat green when it comes to technology. i need a bluray player that w/stream netflix wirelessly. we have highspeed internet at our house, but it comes via an antennae located on the barn some 150 feet away, hence, there is no router in my home, and is impossible to hardwire a bluray player as i was told to do, after i purchased mine. it is possible to purchase a dongle (hope this is the correct term), but i would rather return my bluray player and purchase one that is wireless complete, if that is possible. for example, i simply open my laptop, have wireless, and can stream netflix.ca. i want to do this using a bluray player, one that i don't have to purchase additional equipment, or one i won't have to hardwire to a router (not possible at our house). am i correct in assuming the samsung 6500 will stream netflix w/out any extra paraphanalia? does this make sense? thank you for any help, and i do apologize if i'm in the wrong forum, or if i'm not explaining properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i mean i can get netflix on my laptop, and i don't always want to tie up my computer to watch netflix; i would like to have a bluray player that w/stream netflix wirelessly, but w/out having to add a dongle or hardwire the bluray player into a router. then i can use my laptop for other things while my husband watches movies on tv streamed thru the bluray player that is wireless. am i making sense?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i realize it doesn't connect to my laptop; i don't want to use my laptop for netflix anymore, i just want the bluray player to stream netflix wirelessly, and without having to add anything else to the bluray player. thanks very much

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry about that; couldn't find it earlier; i'm new to this, as i'm sure you can tell. i would have to assume that the router would be located at our office, some 3/4 mile away. i think the antenna at the barn must pick up the internet signal,coming from the office area, and makes it available for me to use at my house. so, you see, i have no idea where this router is, but i do know i have no way of hardwiring a bluray player to the router; it would have to be a bluray player that doesn't require anything attached to it, if you know what i mean. (i really do apologive for not being very clear here)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Until you can figure out how to get a reliable WiFi signal in your house (3/4mile is kind of extreme for typical WiFi) you're not going to get Netflix. It's a real bandwidth hog too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
but it's a very reliable wifi source! maybe the router is located up in the barn, under the antenna, and above the electrical plug in. i've got great service on my computer; i've watched netflix movies on my laptop for a couple of months now. all i want to know is this: does the samsung BD-C6500 bluray player that streams netflix movies need to be hardwired to anything, or does it need a dongle? or will it work like the wireless printer i have--i turn it on, and it finds the wireless signal, and bang! it works.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you need the Samsung's with 'T' at the end to be Netflix capable (BD-5500T, BD-6500T, etc). Not sure what the internal differences are, if any. There's a list on netflix.ca, but I can't get to it right now.
The list of devices here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132681

includes the BD-C5500 and says nothing about "T". I thought the "T" just meant that a movie was bundled with the player.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
From what I've been able to discern, the Samsung players with the same model number are all the same hardware; it's just what's added into the box that determines the letter at the end of the model number:
BD-C5500 - player only
BD-C5500t - player and movie (or HDMI cable)
BD-C5500c - player and HDMI cable (or movie)
(can't remember which is which on the last two, but I think that's how it goes.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts