Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the metric below, we’re filtering for titles that have HD streams available, and for devices capable of playing HD streams (which also filters out mobile networks), to highlight what’s achievable in terms of HD performance on the various ISP networks. As you can see, Charter is in the lead for US streams with an impressive 2667 kilobits per second average over the period. Rogers leads in Canada with a whopping 3020 kbps average.
http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/netflix-performance-on-top-isp-networks.html

Interesting numbers. I hope Netflix continues to publish these numbers because consumers might pay attention to them which, in turn, would cause ISPs to want to improve their own service.

If things work out well Netflix (and similar services) publishing these numbers will do to internet performance what PC games did to PC performance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Interesting charts that clearly show better network in Canada than US, but is it because of better infrastructure or less saturation?
I suspect that when we will have as much internet usage than US, numbers won't be that good. Netflix is very young in Canada and there is no real other high bandwith site to use like Hulu and others in US. The penetration of Netflix in Quebec seems to be limited as Videotron is not even on the chart.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks though that Cable Internet is superior to DSL offerings on both sides of the border in general.

Also doesn't Netflix work on how fast your connection is determines the overall quality of the picture (low speed = low encoding?)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not think these number are representative. Netflix is more popular in US, while in
Canada It is a pretty new service. Those of us that know netflix and use it are the one who are connected to new technology most of the time, and I gues this mean that we all have at least Hi speed internet. In US, I guess almost every body heard about netflix some time, so maybe GrandMa with his 640k internert also stream from netflix.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
But by listening to Bell and Rogers, you'd think there's an emergency bandwidth crisis in Canada. Our networks are about to collapse...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is this like comparing NoWhereIstan vs. BackwardIstan? Even though Canada seems to beat out the US, both countries are still very far below the rest of the world. They should include a graph showing averages of ISP providers in North America vs. Europe vs. Asia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts