Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is Netflix Canada only available on Apple TV, and not on any other streaming devices? Do I complain to Netflix, or do I complain to Western Digital? I'm pretty sure Netflix is to blame, but none of the streaming device companies have come out and said it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There are four WD devices 2 are able to stream netflix they have the newer hardware.
Of the 2 newer devices niether have the rights to stream to Canada. I suspect other devices are in the same boat unless they got the devices licensed ahead of release like many Blue Ray players did and other devices too. I have the WDTV Live it will never stream Netflix how ever I do use my Samsung 5500 Blue Ray player it does great.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the same equipment as danbcman and agree Netflix works nicely on the Samsung player.

WD and Netflix would have to work together to make their apps work in Canada and they tend to spend more time working on the "next big thing" than making older players compatible. It really wouldn't be that hard though since the app just needs to be aware of its location and be pointed to the correct server.

The WD hub is fairly new so I expect they would make this comaptible in the near future.

Your other option is to run media server software(with built-in Netflix) on a PC and stream it to your player.
I currently use Playon server to stream to my WDTV-Live.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
You can read the reasons why in older posts here. But 4 things need to happen.

1. Hardware needs to be able to support the video/audio stream and codecs.
2. Application needs to be created. (already done)
3. Agreement between Netflix and WD.
4. Agreement between Netflix and the content owner.

The last one is why we are not seeing more in Canada. They already have agreements with other Canadian entities.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why is Netflix Canada only available on Apple TV, and not on any other streaming devices? Do I complain to Netflix, or do I complain to Western Digital? I'm pretty sure Netflix is to blame, but none of the streaming device companies have come out and said it.
Netflix is also available on the Wii in Canada.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I find this very frustrating. I just can't comprehend why when they can make the application work on Device X for the US service, why it isn't just a minor tweak to get it to also support the Canadian version.

Jake: I don't understand your point #4. You think the content owners are only licensing their content do be distributed on specific devices? So when they add Netflix Canada to the Insigna DVD players (for example) they're going to amend to all of the contracts with content providers? And if they do, they're doing it with some hardware manufactures so why not others?

I would imagine that points #1-#4 are already covered and that it should be just a minor modification to the app to support both the US and the CAD versions. I think that they probably suspect that the number of such devices in Canada is just so small that it's not worth their time and effort.

Very frustrating.... :(

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
No my point was meant "some" content is not available due to licensing in Canada. Hence my "more" comment. You are correct it is more of a limitation. Not a deterrent.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
No my point was meant "some" content is not available due to licensing in Canada. Hence my "more" comment. You are correct it is more of a limitation. Not a deterrent.
Ah I see. But I think the scope of this thread and the OP is specific to hardware devices and not general content or lack there of (of which there seems to be a constant discussion of in the other thread).

·
Registered
846 Posts
The problem may lie with security issues such as Boxee is having.

The Netflix app is up and running on Boxee (we watched the intro to Full Metal Jacket earlier today), but we have not yet satisfied Netflix’s security requirements. We anticipate availability soon. It’s terrible to be so close to releasing and yet still be waiting on one thing to fall into place.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
U'mmm they would have a security issue with offering the Canadian service but they don't have a security issue with the US service on the same said device???? Nah, I don't think that's it.

The Boxee is a new platform all together. WDTV and Roku have had the US version for a long time (Roku was one of their first).

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It does on WD TV Live Plus and Live Hub:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Netflix-for-Canada/td-p/59328

I think the spirit of the discussion on this specific thread and the OP is why Netflix is supported on some devices in the US and not on the exact same devices up here. Not new devices and not content issues.

The removal of the DVD queue from those apps (on those devices in the US) last month may possibly be a step in the right direction. But I doubt it's really a programming issue as ATV2 and the game consoles have no issues supporting both countries.

I still think the issue is that Netflix just thinks that the market penetration of those devices in Canada is just so small that it's not worth their time and effort to mod the app. Even though the modification is probably quite minor, no matter how small a change it still costs them time and money in regression testing, distribution, and support.

I have my fingers crossed for those devices but I'm not hopeful.

cavu: what email address did you use? If enough of us complained then it may get some traction. I phoned them about it and they were surprised it didn't work and blamed the HW manufacturers. I don't think that's accurate and we should keep on Netflix's case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an quick update:

Boxee added support for Netflix Canada on Monday Feb 14. This means its probably not a licensing issue.
http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/02/14/netflix-on-the-boxee-box/

Also, some recent comments on the WD forums seem to indicate that WD is waiting for Netflix to update their app.

"Netflix develops the API and creates the app, not WD. We'll get an updated Netflix interface when Netflix gets around to it."
I get the impression that the guy making the comments (PixelPower) works for WD, but I'm not certain.

Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
Netflix Canada is now working!?!

Did anyone notice that, without fanfare, Netflix Canada is now working on the WDTV Live box?!!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I wonder if this is a sign that it's also on it's way for the Roku. Pessimistically I doubt it since Boxee and WD are sold directly here and undoubtedly there's way more of those than there are Roku (and hence it's a low priority for them).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts