Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Netflix, Inc. today announced that Netflix members in Canada can now stream Netflix to their TV via Xbox 360. There is no additional monthly fee for Netflix members who are also Xbox LIVE Gold members.

Starting today, Xbox LIVE members will be able to sign up instantly online for a free trial of Netflix, connect to the Internet on their Xbox 360 and simply click on Netflix in the Video Marketplace on the Xbox 360 Dashboard and follow the easy steps to start streaming thousands of movies and TV shows. In addition, Xbox LIVE subscribers will be able to access the Netflix movie and TV library through Windows Phone 7.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great news, I was waiting for this I plan to sign up for my free trial with Netflix today.

I currently use Zip.ca but if the Netflix streaming works easy then I'll probably switch to it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not worth it if you have to be a gold subscriber. Canceled my gold sub a while back because i wasn't getting enough use out of the gold package compaired to the silver.

Surprising tho that they would make you have a gold sub on the 360 but no sub required on the ps3 or wii.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Netflix Canada on Xbox 360 - Great News

I've had my Netflix Canada account since it launched and I'm still very happy with the service. I have the client app installed on my PS3's, an iPad and a Wii. The Wii app is bad and buffers a lot and freezes up often. The PS3 app is rock solid and so is the iPad.

Can't wait to try it now on my Xbox 360's as that is my primary console. I too wish it was available on a Silver Account but I have Gold on my main 360's in the house and only one operates with a silver account. When the new Gold Family plan arrives I'll have a Gold subscription on each 360 in the house and then it won't be an issue.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surprising tho that they would make you have a gold sub on the 360 but no sub required on the ps3 or wii.
Yeah, it seems pretty silly to me. Perhaps Microsoft thinks it will encourage some people to move up to a Gold Membership?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That's great. I have been anxiously awaiting this since Netflix started up a few weeks ago as the xbox is my primary media centre. I am a bit disappointed that today there are no ads for Netflix here at digital home. I have clicked on ads for Netflix from here before to put a few cents in Hugh's pocket, but now that I am ready to click and sign up (with the analytics possibly showing the transaction generated from here) they are nowhere to be found. They are missing an opportunity here.

Edit: Oh darn! My next click after posting this had a Netflix ad on the page! Please ignore me! But I am still excited that it's now available on xbox. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was thinking about a 360 soley as a WMC extender with Netflix. For the extra $60 per year for Live Gold I could amortize another HTPC over 5 years. It's too bad it is this way. They lost my sale.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
To be honest I don't think they're overly concerned. It's generally accepted that Microsoft takes a loss, or at the very least makes only a tiny profit on hardware sales. The console is just to get into your house, what they want to sell you is games, DLC, and Live. I suspect Microsoft added Netflix more to bring in undecided gamers than to bring in Netflix fans. While I'm sure they'd still be pleased to sell another 360, if you're not going to buy games or Live then I don't think you're their target market.

With this app now working I decided to finally activate my free month. Owning all three consoles I can honestly say the 360 one is by far the best, though I haven't used any of them for very long. It's no surprise that the Wii version feels the least responsive and in my opinion looked the worst. The PS3 and 360 were comparable, but the 360 loaded slightly faster, had a slicker interface and, feels just a bit more polished than the PS3 version. The addition of the Xbox Live party system pushed it over the edge for me.

If you don't have any Live friends then the PS3 option should be just fine (without friends the 360 version isn't worth the cost of Live), but I definitely like the 360 one the best so far.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to agree if your not using a 360 for gaming then its not the best available media center product.

I started up the app last night setup was dead simple took about 2 mins to buffer the film I test it with. My only complaint is the selection at Netflix.ca is piss poor.

Nothing wrong with the 360 or Live but with Netflix I can see already that I'll be sticking with Zip.ca for a while until Netflix gets there titles up.

I was really hoping to be able to pick up shows like True blood etc.. and when I toured to the Netflix site thinking it was just a lack of streaming options I noticed they don't have alot of popular releases available yet even by mail.

I didn't test it but can you stream 1080p Movies with Lossless audio?

I should also add that $60.00 a year for Xbox live is one of the cheapest entertainment items you can possibly purchase. I always laugh that people complain about $60.00 for a service I probably log hundreds of hours into.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I should also add that $60.00 a year for Xbox live is one of the cheapest entertainment items you can possibly purchase. I always laugh that people complain about $60.00 for a service I probably log hundreds of hours into.
Its not the $60 a year that was really a concern. I just don't do a lot of the big multiplayer games other then CoD but that only lasts so long so justifying the money for it and then the $8 on top makes it pricey for something i have TMN on demand for already (not a huge selection there but still) As others have stated if the selection and more up to date content becomes available it might be something i'm interested in. And moving 1 of my 360's to a TV which is used for watching movies or tv would be necessary as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody tested the HD streaming on the 360...I read somewhere (Can't remember where though) that 5.1 Dolby Digital audio is only available with the PS3 and not the xBox 360, can anyone confirm please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ndgboss: Well, this would explain why my stereo is outputting Netflix movies in Stereo only. For a while, I thought there was something wrong with my receiver (which is pretty kick ass). I can confirm that Netflix on XBOX360 is stereo only, currently. Boooo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hold on i'm confused. I still need to pay for my netflix subscription if I'm a gold member correct? The first one makes it sound like gold membership comes with free netflix.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
correct - you need a gold membership to get the Netflix app - then you need to pay Netflix their $8.

I find the xbox version a bit annoying. It will often report changing "quality" and blank the screen while it does that. On my ipad, or PS3 or on the PC, netflix just adjusts on the fly to the available bandwidth.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just upgraded to gold after a few year hiatus. No issue so far with streaming, but I have to say the 360 Netflix client is my least favorite of the 3 consoles

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was a little annoyed at the prospect of subscribing to Gold membership to enjoy Netflix, but I have come to the realization that if you own an XBox it is pretty much useless without Gold subscription. I get the feeling that even with the new XBox Kinect device you will be forced into a Gold subscription. So far except for the lack of Digital Surround, I can't say that I'm displeased with my NetFlix experience. I didn't expect much in the beginning but the content is quite satisfactory. Therefore I can't be bothered any longer driving down to BlockBuster to give them my 7$ on a movie that may not even enjoy in the end, and that obliges me to drive back there to return it.
Plus this WebSite I found here on DHC makes even more enjoyable:

http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

Personally I recommend Netflix at least for the free month, regardless of the viewing media that you choose (I recommend Apple TV) - mind you I love watching the HD content on my Plasma through the HDMI cable on my XBox...No more driving to the video store, trying to get the last copy of a movie, standing line to pay for your rental, or watching a piece of crap movie that you rented until the end cause you want to get your moneys worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts