Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
The producers announced that Peaky Blinders will conclude after the upcoming sixth season, which has begun filming. The series is shown on the BBC and on Netflix outside the UK. They said "While the TV series will be coming to an end, the story will continue in another form." (Deadline)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cancelled my Netflix this past weekend. Did a poll in the house. Hardly anyone watches it much anymore. Had the 4 screen 4K option. Almost $260/yr back in my pocket. Fragmentation and cost increases.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
in all honesty I can live without netflix, the last time i watched a show on netflix was 2 months ago, and most of the stuff on there is of no interest to me, theres no sports no live news, etc. my kids dont really watch it either, theyre kinda young so they prefer to play board games, colouring, or go to the park, etc. too much tv is not good for you so these online streaming platforms are trying to make us consume so much garbage which is not good for your mind. people can give netflix a rest some times and tone down on the binging. now my wife on the other hand, i have to help her curb her addiction, she watches full movies on her phone in bed, not cool.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
We find little to watch on Netflix as well. Netflix is a paradox. On the one hand, it offers a huge choice of original content created at high cost. On the other there seems to little in that content that really appeals to us, even in genres or themes that we like. Netflix may be a prime example of what happens when all restrictions and oversight are removed from creative filmmakers. On the one hand, it creates the occasional work of genius that has wide appeal. On the other, it seems to create many works that push the limits in ways that makes them unappealing. They seem to be mixed in with the usual amount of high budget bad works. The biggest fault I'm finding is extreme violence, the lack of empathy for the victims of such violence and a general lack of humanity in many of the main characters. There needs to be more than just rampant killing and destruction, even in an action movie.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is so much to watch on Netflix that I could never keep up! It is endlessly entertaining. The 2-season series Sense8, for example, is so completely awesome. Or Germany's "Dark". Very cool stuff.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
That brings up another issue with Netflix. Some of the new content I might watch is in a foreign language with subtitles and no English sound track. There was a time when I preferred subtitles but these days I find them distracting and often difficult to read. Anyone with a vision problem, even a minor one, can have difficulty with subtitles.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Our nightly viewing is usually a movie on Netflix followed by some musical performance on YouTube. Many of the movies are older ones that we have previously seen but do not really remember. Occasionally we find a new gem, so maybe an average 3 out of 7 movies are really good. Sometimes we will start one and then switch to something else after 10 or 15 minutes. There is the occasional foreign film with an English sound track that has a good plot but the mix is not my preferred choice.
I also watch some series on my own and have Lupin lined up next.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a lot of catching up to do with Netflix. I mostly use Crave and Disney+ and my kids watch Netflix and Youtube. My big problem with Netflix lately is the cancelling of shows after one season. They seem to be doing it a lot lately.

Also what’s taking so long with Stranger Things?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I generally watch more series than movies and prefer series with female leads or co-leads. I read an article a few months ago outlining the female problem that Netflix has. Their most successful high profile shows with female leads have been limited series e.g. Unbelievable, Queen's Gambit. Most of the other Netflix female-centric series with more than one season are pretty soapy, which is not my preference.. Ironically the last thing I watched on Netflix is a documentary showcasing the lack of female leads on television and even children's programming called This Changes Everything. For this reason and the cost versus hours watched ratio on Netflix which far exceeds any of my other streaming services, I am also considering dropping Netflix for a few months. Crave/HBO, Amazon, and Acorn have a much wider range of content for women who prefer dramas, mysteries and dark comedies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had Netflix for a couple years, now its come down to me watching some new movies and any series I like when they are released. Other than that I'm not going to watch, I do not watch movies or shows twice, and am select in the genres I watch, science fiction, horror, action, thrillers are what I watch most, very few comedies, no documentaries, no romantic crap. Stuff like the Queens Gambit or Tiger King, not a chance. So basically Netflix fills a need for now of watching maybe 6 or so hours per week.

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
Netflix has picked up worldwide exclusive rights to Manifest for a fourth and final season after it was canceled by NBC. The 20-episode season will be split into multiple parts. (Deadline) The first two seasons are available on Netflix Canada now, with the third to be added August 31.

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
Netflix announced the entire 180-episode library of Seinfeld will become available October 1, 2021. Episodes will be available in 4K (rescanned from the original 35 mm film) and will be “bookended by Seinfeld’s stand-up material.” (Deadline) The five-year, exclusive worldwide streaming deal was announced in 2019. (Related post) The rights at Hulu expired earlier this year, but don't expire until September 30 on Crave in Canada and Amazon in other territories.

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
Production wrapped last month in Nova Scotia on the contemporary sci-fi horror series, From, which will premiere on EPIX on February 20, 2022. The series will be distributed by Netflix outside of the U.S. (Source) Just thought I would mention it, since the simplicity of the title might make it hard to track down.

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
Paramount+ announced that the feature film THE IN BETWEEN, from Paramount Players, will premiere on Friday, Feb. 11, exclusively for Paramount+ subscribers in the U.S. and is coming soon to Netflix internationally.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts