Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Amazon has a physical presence or place of operations in Canada so they must collect GST for all of Canada and PST in the provinces where they operate. Where provinces have HST (GST+PST), it must also be collected in all of Canada.

Netflix does not have a presence in Canada so they are not required to collect GST, PST or HST. However, Canadians are required to submit them.

Canadian individuals and businessess are also required to submit income tax for overseas earnings but they often don't and use tax loopholes like registering companies anonymously in sheltered countries or moving earnings to tax havens.

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Netflix has picked up Vikings: Valhalla, a sequel to the hit series that is heading into its sixth and final season on History. Reportedly, Netflix has ordered 24 episodes of the new series from Vikings creator Michael Hirst and studio MGM Television, which continues the storytelling of the original. (Deadline)

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
The upcoming fifth season of Lucifer may not be as final as it seemed. Netflix is in talks with series producer Warner Bros. TV about another installment of the comic book drama. (Deadline)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Netflix connection interruptions.
For the past two weeks, while watching a movie on Netflix, the video stream stops and I get a message that I've lost the connection. Then, a sign pops up and asks if I have a Wired connection or a Wireless connection? I click on Wireless and go through some extra steps and the problem clears up only to come back a few minutes later.
We get Streaming TV and Internet from Telus. I use a Trendex TP1200 Mbps powerline adapter that sends the signal from the computer to an electrical socket. The signal is picked up by another Trendex unit that's plugged into an electric socket in the den that connects to a Roku Ultra box and then to the HDTV. BTW: There no problem watching Youtube videos using this system. I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this annoying glitch?

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Coronavirus, Explained will be available on Netflix April 26. "This topical series examines the coronavirus pandemic, the efforts to combat it and ways to manage its mental health toll." (Source)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re. Netflix connection interruptions.

This has happened to me also. I use Shaw. So it isn't us, but perhaps streaming is simply overloaded by volume of users? I have to just leave my TV and go read a book! Eventually it works fine again.

I also get frozen screens with the buffering circle for minutes at a time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Starting to have the same problem with both services Netflix and Prime on the Firestick. Buffering circle, frozen screen,etc. Using Bell Internet and its pods throughout apartment. Normally very good reception. Can the system get overloaded and where are the servers located. Incidentally the Amazon Echos are also slow to respond.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Buffering can be caused by bottlenecks anywhere in the system. That could be origination video servers, server connections to the internet backbone, the internet backbone itself, the ISP's connections to the internet backbone, the ISP's wide area network, the last mile and the household network or wifi. The most common causes seem to be the video servers and the household router or wifi.

Local wifi can be checked by process of elimination. Is it just on one device? Does it occur only when multiple programs are being streamed? What are the results of a speed test using a smartphone near the devices? Wifi pods can be useful to extend signals but they can also cause speed issues, especially if poorly placed. Rebooting the router, pods or wifi device sometimes helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
try unplugging your moldem for 30 seconds and plug it back in .it will reset to normal.this needs to be done every once in a while.that should fix your freezing buffering problems

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Adult Swim has picked up a second season of the animated comedy Tuca & Bertie that was canceled last year at Netflix. Netflix will retain rights to Season 1 of the series, with Adult Swim picking up for the 10-episode Season 2 U.S. domestic rights with the option for more. (Deadline) I don't know what will happen outside the U.S.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts