Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Sony Bravia LCD TV internet TV with several plug ins, like Yahoo Widgets, YouTube, Flickr and others....

In Canada, the netflix player or plugin for Sony is not available. I have contacted Sony when Netflix got released last month and they told me that it would probably come available later, I have also researched posts here and others have got the run around between Sony and Netflix, not knowing if this would ever be supported.

I will ask Sony again but if anyone as recent news, please share it here. I will post what I am being told.

Thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cheers, Legonet:

It probably depends on the CSR person to whom you're speakling. I've called before and struck out, information wise. Yesterday, I got the following email reply to my question (which is just as ambiguous):

I'm sorry to inform you that the Netflix through Bravia Internet Video Devices is not available in Canada right now. When Netflix is available it will be posted in our Website.

I really think we need to hear from a Sony Insider on this one.

Meanwhile, both Samsung and Toshiba have released firmward so that netflix.ca can be streamed on (certain) 2010 devices. C'mon, Sony!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's part of the reply....It's hard to get a straight answer...

Sony and Netflix are discussing the possibility of making the Netflix service available to customers in Canada, but unfortunately we cannot provide a date of availability at this time.

My first answer fron Sony in October when netflix got out, was that they were working on a version for Canada, now they say they are "discussing the possibility".... Next time, I think I will buy a monitor instead, no use to get a TV with extra features if they can't keep it up, it is not even 1 year old...!!! Bought it on boxing day...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been looking into this as well.
I have a feeling that Qriosity.com (pronounced Curiosity) is going to be Sony's answer to Netflix in Canada ... Apparently it is a very similar service and I believe at least partially Sony owned.
I went to http://www.qriocity.com/us/en/index.html and it let me set up an account ... It said it was available in US, Canada and parts of Latin America ... I entered Canada as my country and the provinces filled in automatically, it was looking good ... anyway, when I finished signing up, it finally said "We are not available in your country yet" ... but it did seem promising.
They have HD streaming video, and from what I've read about from US users, it's a pretty good option ...
We'll see!

Legonet ... I am just about to buy a Bravia Internet Video Enabled TV ... Can you tell me what Internet Video Icons you have (So many are blocked in Canada I am sure)?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a feeling that Qriosity.com (pronounced Curiosity) is going to be Sony's answer to Netflix in Canada ...
Do we even know if it's coming? My HX9 TV's latest firmware update improved features for Qriosity, features only available in the US! I'd be happy if we can get this in Canada... and Netflix... and Hulu... Okay, I'll stop hoping now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, I am not surprise about not being available in canada... I receive from Sony, their news letters via email with adds from Netflix being available. Just another exemple that they are simply sending US ads to their canadian customers....

To answer the question and for clarity, I don't have "blocked icons", they are just not there. As requested here's what icons I have available;

Under Network menu
- Yahoo Widget Gallery
- Yahoo news
- Twitter
- Weather Widget
- Flickr
- Yahoo Finance
- Frame Channel

Under Video menu
- YouTube
- Yahoo (Discover the world of Web video)
- blip.tv
- wired
- Epicurious.com
- concierge.com
- style.com
- MyPlay Music Network
- Inside Sony Pictures
- Ford Models
- Dailymotion
- Howcast.com
- ON Networks
- GolfLink.com
- Livestrong.com
- eHow.com
- Flixster
- Singing Fool
- Podcasts
- Videocast.com
- Pongalo.com

If anyone in the US reads this post, where would Netflix usually appear? Under which menu?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sony model

Legonet

What model of Sony do you own? I have a Sony KDL52EX700 and do not see any of these icons in my Network folder.

Under Network menu
- Yahoo Widget Gallery
- Yahoo news
- Twitter
- Weather Widget
- Flickr
- Yahoo Finance
- Frame Channel

Thx
Jim
Windsor Ont

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a Canadian model, KDL46W5100 bought last xmas,

If you don't see any of that, you might want to refresh your content, you can do so by going in the menu at Settings, Network, Refresh Internent Content...

My firmware version is aa0176pn.

You can also try to register your TV on the Sony essentials site?

internet.sony.tv

If anyone in the US has the netflix, can you tell me where it is located for you? under which menu?

Thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Update as of 04 Jan.: The Qriosity coming soon banner has been removed from my Sony HX9. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sony announces Netflix available in spring 2011

Sony Canada announced Feb.17, 2011 that Netflix will be available in spring 2011. The press release listing capable devices can be found at:
http://www.sony.ca/view/press_969.htm

I noticed a new Netflix icon appeared under the video menu on my BDP-S570 Blu-ray player. Selecting it indicated "coming soon."

·
Registered
773 Posts
What the....
According to that PR, my NX810 will not be getting Netflix!

* Netflix and "Video On Demand powered by Qriocity™" will be available on the following

Sony television series:
EX521, EX620, EX720, NX720, HX729, HX820, and HX929.

It does get Qriocity right now.
Boo-urns!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Mine showed up when I read Post #10 and checked it. I haven't tried watching something via Qriocity yet but I'm going to give it a test spin soon. As for Canadian Netflix, having seen the mediocre programming offerings they're forced to carry I'm not really excited about it, but it may be worthwhile if they can get more quality programming freed up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Altough my model is not listed in the press release, I see the icon in my TV menu for Netflix, just hope that it will be made available and that is not a mistake....

I don't see anything for Qriocity, does any of you see an icon for it in your respective TV or DVD player menu?

I was starting to loose faith in Sony... Will see if they can deliver in april...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Arrh....... I only see Netflix.... I guess my model 'isn't good enough' ....KDL46W5100 only 1 year old.... too bad.

I tried a refresh and still no luck...

I tried to create an account on the Qriocity but I can't activate as it ask to click on the qriocity icon on my TV menu to activate the device...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a Sony Bravia LCD TV internet TV with several plug ins, like Yahoo Widgets, YouTube, Flickr and others....

In Canada, the netflix player or plugin for Sony is not available. I have contacted Sony when Netflix got released last month and they told me that it would probably come available later, I have also researched posts here and others have got the run around between Sony and Netflix, not knowing if this would ever be supported.

I will ask Sony again but if anyone as recent news, please share it here. I will post what I am being told.

Thanks
I recently purchased a Sony 55EX720, this new model comes with a netflix button on the remote. being a netflix subscriber i though this will be great. NOT. I have contacted Sony and netflix, just like you said. got the runaround. also searched various forms and haven't found any info as to when this will be available. frustrating to say the lest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts