Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got it working: Netflix Canada on Roku

So this has been a large pain in the *** that I've been trying to solve for a while...!
Up to this point the limitation in getting the Roku working with Netflix is that it would not retrieve an activation code. I manged to get past this with the following steps - this assumes you have a valid Cdn Netflix account:
1. Make your network appear to be US based by using http://portal.unblock-us.com...the basic steps are: log into your router and change the primary and secondary DNS address to (remember to write down your current numbers):
Primary DNS 208.122.23.22
Secondary DNS 208.122.23.23
2. reboot router
3. open up any webpage - UnblockUS will ask for your e-mail address to set up a trial account. Enter your e-mail address.
4. Go to the Roku store and add Netflix
5. Enter the Netflix app and indicate that you are a current customer.
6. A code will appear - you need to enter this code here: https://account.netflix.com/Activate
7. you should get a message that "Activation is Complete"
8. You may need to exit the Netflix app at this point. When you re-enter you will see the US catalog. This is good :D. Exit app.
9. Now to return to Canada - go back to your router and restore the original DNS numbers.
10. Netflix should now work with the cdn library.

Good luck!
T2

·
Registered
1 Posts
netflix and other apps

Just purchased the Boxee. When I DID bring up netflix, it worked AMAZINGLY well. However, most of the time, the Boxee cannot access anything consistently. In particular, when trying to access the "apps" section...9 out of 10 times nothing returns (likewise, shows and movies although they return 5 out of 10 times). Then it will suddenly populate. I am thinking that this is a problem with the Boxee server, or equivalent. Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
BTW, I'm finding that my roku is now working perfectly for Netflix in Canada. It used to have some minor issues like missing cover art, and only showing US content - the specifics of which I've posted previously.

But now the Netflix app is working perfectly. And while the ATV2 shows and allows me to play from my instant queue, the roku is the only STB that allows me to add/remove from my queue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for working that out PCmonkey, surely no better advice exists in the whole of the internets. I bought a little Roku for a gift and had no idea it was totally borked for use in Canada. Funny thing was that it activated just fine, but then would throw the region error when trying to load a movie. I ended up doing a factory reset on the roku box first, then performing your DNS trick. I was elated. Thanks for being verbose in your solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roku is working

I got my Roku in Florida last year, and did not work at the beginning with Netflix. As now they are expanding in the UK (a new release), my Roku is now working with Netflix. No need to use a VPN or anything like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Working Fine in Canada

I recently purchased a Roku 2 XS from the US. Before receiving it I set up an account with Roku. Upon getting the box I plugged it in and went through the set up. To my surprise no Netflix and a very limited channel store. My brother had picked up a box as well but was unable to set up an account. He got on with tech support chat, through the Roku website. After telling them he was unable to make an account, they made and account for him. They then activated the box with the activation code that was on the screen. After that everything was there Netflix, etc. After hearing what he had done, I deleted my account and pushed the reset button on the back of the box. When I got to the activation screen I went to the Roku support chat and opened a session. I followed what my brother had done and got them to set up an account for me and activate the box. After it was done I had Netflix and the whole Roku channel store. Note: I did not state I was in Canada, they didn't ask and I didn't tell.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That's how I succeeded in getting mine set up as well; even with a VPN, it was still not letting me access the full range of channels.

For anyone in Canada with a Roku, I'd recommend doing the online chat and tell them you want to set up your account without a credit card/payment option. Worked for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried the unblock-us.com but I am having no luck.

I did the DNS setup and have tested Hulu and Pandora on my laptop and US content is definitely working.

I have a US address and credit card so I used that to setup my Roku account but when I activate the Roku box with that account I see no sign of the Netflix channel.

Is it possible some additional region checks have been added to the device? I figured with the US credit card and address I was better off than most users but I'm getting no joy. Anyone else activate one with this method recently?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
No sign of it in the Channel store either? Maybe reset the Roku to factory settings (there's a setup menu option for that or a pin button on the bottom of some models) and try the initial setup again with your DNS configured for the US. Unless it's not just DNS but your source IP as well that they're catching.

If that doesn't work, have you tried adding it like you would a private channel from the roku website (not sure if that's possible with nflx though).

61 - 72 of 72 Posts