Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received my Roku player and was unable to get Netflix working. I decided to call their support line. After spending over an hour on the phone with Roku 'tech support' I was advised that Netflix Canada was not supported...grr

I've filed a complaint...as there is nothing on Roku's website that indicates 'only in US'.

Has anyone managed to get the Roku boxes to work with Netflix in Canada?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe the situation is similar to the WDTV Live Plus product - there just doesn't seem to be a licensing agreement in place between Netflix Canada and these types of third party media devices.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Netflix support..they are working on it for several devices. I pointed out to them that their Canadian website indicated that it was supported... The support person was surprised that this was on their website and filed an internal issue ticket. I managed to get my free Netflix subscription 'paused' until the Roku is supported.

...and now I wait. :(

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe their catalog will improve while you are "paused".

I trying to decide if I want to go with the Roku or Apple TV as I want HD and we only have the Wii console. Hopefully this will be fixed soon so I have a choice instead of having only the Apple TV as the option.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
. I pointed out to them that their Canadian website indicated that it was supported.
hmm, never saw that on their site. Here is the list and no Roku.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hugh,

Below is a direct copy and paste from the Canadian FAQ section (need to be logged in to access):

Q:
How do I watch instantly on my TV with a Netflix-ready device?
A:

A Netflix-ready device allows you to watch movies instantly on your TV. A growing list of Netflix-ready devices are available, including offerings from Microsoft XBox, Roku, Samsung, LG Electronics and Tivo.

* Get more information on available Netflix ready devices.
* Activate your device.
* For help getting started, see How to watch instantly on your TV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll provide an update as soon as things change...

I have high hopes for the Roku box - watched some free HD streams last night and they were of exceptional quality and started almost immediately.

Does anyone know if Amazon's video on demand works in Canada?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
So did you order it to a US address and then pick it up or get is shipped up to you? Presumably so. And which model did you go for? I'm thinking that XD would probably be best, or is it worth an extra $20 for essentially a fancier remote control.

Channels like twit must work fine I'd imagine. But Netflix is the killer app for me.

Final question (sorry to bombard you): when you called Roku support did they sound at all optimistic or did they just pass the buck onto Netflix.ca?

I'm glad you're optimistic about it at least. Maybe I'm more of a "glass half empty" type of guy. ;)

Thanks for your info on this so far PCmonkey. It's good feedback for those of us interested in one. The price point is great. If it worked with Netflix.ca and was available at my local SourceCC, FS, or BB, I'd be buying one tonight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So did you order it to a US address and then pick it up or get is shipped up to you? Presumably so. And which model did you go for? I'm thinking that XD would probably be best, or is it worth an extra $20 for essentially a fancier remote control.
I ordered directly from Roku dot com and had it shipped to my Canadian address. I selected the XD/S model since it was reasonably priced at $99 and provides USB and optical SPDIF hookup. I believe the remotes for all 3 models are identical. You can check out feature differences on their website under the "choose your roku" tab.

Channels like twit must work fine I'd imagine. But Netflix is the killer app for me.
I agree Netflix is why I bought this box... :(
...just confirmed...watching Leo on Twit - thanks for pointing out this channel. Excellent quality too.

Final question (sorry to bombard you): when you called Roku support did they sound at all optimistic or did they just pass the buck onto Netflix.ca?
No worries - I started this thread out of frustration and to help others with this player...so questions are good :)

The Roku support was terrible...it was your typical outsourced foreign helpdesk. Fixed checklist, hard to understand, and zombie-like personality. They were unable to answer the question if Netflix will be functional in Canada soon. When I asked the individual what channels do work in Canada I was told the Remax channel was available for me. Upon researching this channel I was shocked/stunned/surprised to discover it was the RE/MAX private training channel...I have no idea why this was what was recommended. So not too happy.

What left me feeling warm 'n fuzzy was the support I received from Netflix. The person was absolutely wonderful: Clear English, cheery HR-like personality, and even knowledgeable of local geography. This is what I like to see from a customer support person. The individual indicated that they are working on support for numerous boxes like the Roku though she was unable to confirm an actual date. If I take this comment and combine it with the need for Netflix to grow it's Canadian customer base, I'd say that something will be made available soon.

I'm glad you're optimistic about it at least. Maybe I'm more of a "glass half empty" type of guy. ;)
Admittedly I tend to be a pessimistic individual...but I also think that greed/growth drives business and enabling the Roku in Canada does this for Netflix and Roku as well. Roku has competition on the horizon with Apple TV, and Google TV. The ideal strategy is to penetrate as many customers as possible BEFORE the competition shows up in force.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Do any of the Roku's online features work in Canada?

Sell it on eBay (probably at a major loss though as the HD version is $59 US) and buy an AppleTV which does support Netflix Canada as well as the iTunes store.

I'd join the Roku forums as it seems in 2008 they thought it would.

by RokuJamesL » Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 am

Unfortunately, Netflix currently does not offer its services in Canada, so the Netflix Player will not work. As for future possibilities, that would be wholly dependent on Netflix. In theory if they did offer their service in Canada we would of course support it.
PS Roku should update their comparison page as Netflix has added features it's software across all platforms.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...actually I've decided to keep the box. I'll take my chances that Netflix becomes available. For now I'm watching the other content available. I've seem some pretty impressive picture quality and so believe that the hardware is quite capable.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It would be interesting to know what would make getting a Roku worthwhile with so much content being in the US and the US blocks content on most things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting... did it come USPS/CanPost? Any duties?

Also, let us know what things you are enjoying watching on it? Thanks!
It arrived via FedEx ground...no additional border charges. Total for the XDS including shipping was CDN$126.

Frequently watch:
- Revision3 - specifically HDNation
- Twit
- Classic Movies through several of the free channels
- Youtube - kids like this :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Wow! that is quite the oops! in the Netflix FAQ. The supported netflix gear up here is pretty thin at best. I'm sure by the new year things will be worked out more or less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you managed to play NetFlix in your Roku box?

I have Netflix service in Canada it plays well but I do throught my Wii, they sent me a DVD that has to be in the Wii all time I want to see a movie.

I am thinking to buy a Roku, however before to do it, could you please tell me if you managed to watch netflix (it is not as great as I have heard but for 8 dollars a month is worth) in your Roku box? Could you please post the sites you can see with no problem ?

Thanks Mauro

1 - 20 of 72 Posts