Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
I cannot get the Netflix app because I have Telus Optik but my Internet is with Shaw (for Hotspots in the city for five phones). I do have Telus Optik TV and Internet at my cottage. Basically, the answer is no Internet, no Netflix in Vancouver, even if I have Telus Internet at the cottage.

It is not a huge deal as I have smart TVs everywhere, but I thought the Netflix service maybe a tad better through the Telus box.

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
There is a technical reason that all Optik TV apps that access the internet must use the providers internet. This is true for all Mediaroom providers including Bell Fibe, MTS, Sasktel, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Telus Strips Off Surround Sound on Netflix(Ch422)

Hi There,

I spoke with a Telus tech. in Montreal last week, and he checked the Telus Netflix feed on CH 422 at his office, and confirmed that only the 2 channel Stereo option was available.

I then went directly to my Netflix account using a ROKU 3 streamer, and hey, there was the option to switch between 2 Channel Stereo, and 5:1 Dolby Digital Plus Surround.

I watch a lot of movies, and want surround sound as offered by Netflix.
Telus seems to have taken a step forward by offering Netflix on Optik, but a step back regarding the audio.
Maybe they think no-one can hear the difference !!!!!!

Thought I would post this in case anyone else was wondering about the audio feed,

Cheers
Kev
:p

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Crazy that they do that for Netflix. Guess that means there's really no benefit at all to accessing it via the STB

I could make a joke about how they screw up surround sound on broadcast television, but it's the wrong thread for that! ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't be too quick to blame Telus,it could be Netflix.
Netflix has been having a lot of issues with there 5.1 sound.
Just google Netflix no 5.1 sound and you will find a lot of complaints about No 5.1 sound for a lot of Smart TV and Blu Ray users.
There HD picture is not to bad,but there stereo sound is just dismal right now.

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
The Netflix client app that runs on the Telus STB was probably written by an app dev. company that specializes in Mediaroom apps, either on contract to Telus or on their own with the expectation to market it to other Mediaroom providers.

If it's not a problem with the Netflix interface or servers, it could be a bug, a limitation of the Mediaroom API or infrastructure, or a limitation of the STB hardware. Even though the STB supports surround sound for TV signals, I think the data access APIs were designed for supplementary data, not for full-fledged streaming.

That said, if surround sound is important to you, I would initiate a formal trouble ticket with a tracking number (or whatever terminology Telus uses). It would probably help if you could confirm that the movie plays in surround sound on other hardware when you call them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Netflix generally writes its own apps. I can't find anything specifically either way about the Mediaroom app, but it's fairly similar to Netflix's PS4 app that I use, Telus is not the first to launch it on the Mediaroom platform.

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
I know Netflix writes their own apps for the major platforms, but I couldn't find anything about Mediaroom. Which other providers offer Netflix through Mediaroom?

·
Registered
422 Posts
My searching earlier came up with at least one -- Deutsche Telekom added it last year, and they appear to use Mediaroom.

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
Thanks for that info Gilles. I knew Mediaroom was used outside North America, but I never checked those for Netflix. Here's an interesting article I just found that confirms that the Mediaroom app was written by Netflix and that this is part of Netflix's strategy to be included on as many cable/sat/IPTV boxes as possible.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/10/netflix-wants-to-hook-up-with-your-cable-company-in-2015/

People who are having trouble with surround sound may consider contacting Netflix directly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
NetFlix Signing Out

Hey all,

Anyone else having the issue with Netflix intermittently getting signed out so that the next time you go to use it you have to enter your ID and password again (which is a pain).

We are NOT using the "Sign Out" option...just exiting. We can do this numerous times and it works fine...but then for unknown reasons, it will be out for unknown reasons.

General question - we have the "4 Screens + Ultra HD" subscription. What happens if our kids should go over the 4 screens total at one time...could that result in our main Optik TV account getting "signed out" ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
telus optik netflix and internet with a different provider

Any update on this? i phoned telus today and they confirmed that if you had internet via another provider and just optik tv, netflix would work. however, i don't believe it. can anyone confirm that this works or doesn't work?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
I'm pretty sure nothing has changed since post 41. You won't be able to use the Optik TV Netflix app, but you can use your internet provider to watch Netflix on a Chromecast or other device.

Are you currently an Optik TV customer?

·
Registered
68 Posts
NetFlix - Have to sign in repeatedly!

Anyone else have the issue (or the solution) to having to repeatedly sign in with user id/password when using Channel 422/NetFlix on Optik TV?

I have the UltraHD/4 screen subscription to Netflix, and another family member does sign in to my Netflix account on THEIR TV/Optik setup (another house/Optik plan etc).

We also often use NetFlix on other devices, tablets etc (not all at the same time).

Our problem is that after using NetFlix on the Optik TV, we exit (just by changing channels - NOT signing off) but the next time we go in, we have to re-enter all the credentials. Frustrating.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anyone know how to change the colour of the subtitles when viewing Netflix on channel 422? Hard to read the white sometimes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks, will try that and also going to try watching Netflix through my media player or Blu-Ray.
The Narcos white subs are really hard to read.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts