Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
NETFLIX is showing on my guide now as Channel 422. It's also available under the TV apps section.

The interface is virtually indistinguishable from what I was seeing on my Roku device. Navigation seems a little slower though. Hopefully that will be improved with subsequent updates.

A huge thanks to Telus for adding this.

(I had no idea this was coming. Definitely a nice surprise to see it suddenly appear).

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Is it hard set to Netflix Canada or does it rely on the DNS settings set in the router? We use Unlocator to get Neflix US on our bluray player.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Nothing here. Looks like AB only now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It showed up in Edmonton today. With the STB app, can one set up combined billing (ie your NetFlix monthly charge shows up as a line-item on your telus bill)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My question is whether Netflix is available to Optik TV users without Telus internet, since Telus stated in their press release that it's avaialble to ALL Optik TV customers.
You need to subscribe to TELUS internet to use Netflix on the Optik STB.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Crave TV does not count usage via their STB, because Telus is uploading all of their content to their own VOD servers. That isn't the case with Netflix (there would be far too much content to do that with).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes seeing netflix channel now-vancouver.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Crave TV does not count usage via their STB, because Telus is uploading all of their content to their own VOD servers. That isn't the case with Netflix (there would be far too much content to do that with).
Perhaps, I have read Netflix has 'peering' agreements with ISP. I believe that means Netflix sets up servers inside the ISP's own network, to save Netflix and the ISP on external network charges. I guess the consumer wont see those savings directly but its a good way to for the businesses to compete.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Peering just means Netflix's servers are linked closer/directly to the ISP's servers, so that there are fewer servers to jump through. You're still using Netflix's outside servers in that case. It just reduces latency.

What you're referring to is when the site makes an agreement with ISPs to put a node of its content delivery network (CDN) inside the ISP's network. Almost the same, but not quite. I don't know how many of these agreements Netflix has, but I know Google/YouTube has many.

In any case, that would still be part of the Internet service, and not the TV platform, so it would still count as usage just as it would with a web browser or any other device.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts