Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some strange reason I can't get 5.1 audio from Netflix on the PS3. I get 5.1 and 7.1 from the PS3 Bluray, and 5.1 from other devices connected to my Denon amp, but when I select 5.1 audio from Netflix shows or movies that support the format, nothing comes through. Stereo works fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm taking advantage of the new forum setup to see if anyone has a solution to my Netflix on the PS3 problem. I'm running Netflix on the original PS3 hardware, and I can't get 5.1 surround sound to work. I don't have any problems with 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 from the PS3 when playing BluRay movies or games. Please let me know if you have an old PS3 and are able to get 5.1 from Netflix.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm selecting shows and movies that have 5.1 as an audio option. Is 5.1 working on your "fat" PS3?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link. I know that 5.1 from Netflix will work on the newer PS3's but from my research it seems that there may be a problem with 5.1 from Netflix on the original "fat" PS3. When I spoke to Netflix about this they weren't sure if it was supposed to work (how's that for tech support?!). I've tried many different setups on the PS3, always using 5.1 enabled shows on Netflix, and I just can't get it to work. I'm hoping that someone here can confirm that they have Netflix working in 5.1 with their early model PS3 so that I can get the inspiration to do another round of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you list 2 or 3 shows that have 5.1 I will test them at home later.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the offer, but my 5.1 problem has been resolved (and I have no idea how!). I hadn't checked my PS3 Netflix output since they introduced the three quality settings, so I decided to follow Hugh's advice and went for another round of troubleshooting. I logged onto the Netflix web interface and set my account for the best quality output (no option was set when I logged in). On the PS3 I selected the first episode of "Mad Men" season 4 and got a high quality HD signal with proper 5.1 DD+ audio, without changing any other setting on the receiver, or the PS3. I tried a few other 5.1 enabled shows and everything works very well. Case closed!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually keep it set to PCM, and let the PS3 handle the decoding task. The PCM tracks are sent to the receiver via HDMI, along with the video. I have the receiver DD setting on "auto" and there is no apparent difference when switching between the Bitstream and PCM setting on the PS3, when playing back the 5.1 DD+ movies from Netflix. I recommend U-571 as a favorite 5.1 test movie on Netflix!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Netflix 5.1 audio? That's brilliant i must say. What about closed case captaining? Subtitle available to access in Netflix categories movies rental now? Let's hope so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having the same problem on the latest PS3 model. Changing the quality setting for my Netflix account didn't change anything. The 5.1 sound is muted, stereo works all the time.

Annoying workaround: start up other movies that have 5.1 until one of them is not muted, then go back to the original movie I want to see which will play fine now.

Seems like a bug in the Netflix PS3 software. I'm surprised that I don't see more reports about this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts