Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It's more about what Apple has done right. They've created a brand that people want. I think it has more to do with that than the desire to own a tablet computer.

-Mike

·
Banned
328 Posts
Android isn't doing anything wrong, they are just late to the party. Considering they really isn't any good tablets out there other than the expensive Xoom, 18% market share is very good. The headlines will be much different in a year once mature Android tablets hit the market like the ASUS Transformer and HTC Flyer. This sounds awfully similar to when the first Android phones came out, we all know how that ended up.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
There's something in the water that makes people swoon to the 'Church of Apple'.

I even find myself thinking I may want an ipad. (currently an iphone4 owner).

I had RIM stock but dumped it a few weeks back (for a mild profit, while I could). I generally support RIM as a company and their products, however it certainly doesn't look good for them going forward.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The reality is the article is crap. It`s taking numbers out of context and frankly making crap up.

I agree when Jobs said the iPad had 95% of the market, how could it not since it was really the only tablet out there.

With the advent of the new tablets the iPad can`t go anything but down. Where we can disagree is how far down!

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Once upon a time ASUS had 95% of the netbook market.

Let's wait until 12/31/2011 and see what the 2011 sales (not LTD) are.

Personally, I don't care about sales figures, it's just FYI information that sparks some conversations and headlines for those who create the article.

Tablets have a large future with most sales coming in 2012 and beyond.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There's something in the water that makes people swoon to the 'Church of Apple'.
In the last year, I went from being an iPod/iPhone user to getting an iPad, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, ATV2, and iPad2! In addition to the user interface of iOS and Mac OS, much of the appeal for me is the design, form factor, and construction of Apple devices.

I also have an Android phone and will be getting an Android tablet (I'm just waiting to see Google will sell one). I can't say I like using iOS more than Android, they're just different - iOS does some things really well and Android does other things well.

If I were to guess, I think the 2011 tablet market is going to be split 60/40 (iOS/Android), with Android taking the lead in 2012, like the phone market. I don't think it will necessarily mirror the phone market due to affinity (e.g., Android phone users will get Android tablets and iPhone users will buy the iPad), but due to the number of Android devices on the market.

FYI, I'm counting the PlayBook market share with Android, mostly because I believe most of the apps available for the PlayBook will be repackaged Android apps. For work, I build iOS and Android apps/games under contract and since RIM announced Android support, none of my customers are looking at native PlayBook apps (built using Adobe Air) - they are just going repackage their Android apps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts