Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I despise negotiating, but realize it's s.o.p. when buying hi-fi equipment. I'm preparing to purchase a new pair of Paradigm Studio 60 speakers and would like to know what a reasonable offer might be. The speakers are currently advertised locally for $2,298, plus 12% HST. I'm not looking to squeeze every last penny, but just want to walk away with both parties satisfied, if that makes sense. An offer to pay the listed price, but have the retailer pay the HST, seems reasonable to me but I have no experience in purchasing from this industry.

Any solid advice anyone can offer? Thanks in advance.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Speakers are a high margin item so you should never pay full retail. A 10 to 15% discount is probably reasonable. If you want a discount, don't shop at a busy time. Go in when its empty. The deals are always better then.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm not looking to squeeze every last penny
Why not? ;)

You're a lot nicer than I am. I try to leave as little money on the table as possible.

If you have a particular product that you want you may be able to find out the dealer's cost, and then you can go in and make them an offer. I've had success using that method before.

Or, you could use the new car buying tactics. Find out all the product dealers in your area (or ones who will ship to you), and then send an email to them all asking for a quote. Print out the best quote and take it in to your local dealer and ask them to match/beat it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Speakers are a high margin item so you should never pay full retail. A 10 to 15% discount is probably reasonable. If you want a discount, don't shop at a busy time. Go in when its empty. The deals are always better then.
Fully agreed! The manfactures sells for about 30% of the inflated MSRP. If you are not comfortable dealing find sales. Even 15% less is too expensive.

Or, you could use the new car buying tactics. Find out all the product dealers in your area (or ones who will ship to you), and then send an email to them all asking for a quote. Print out the best quote and take it in to your local dealer and ask them to match/beat it.
This is actually a great idea especially if you are not comfortable. I would go even further as having all the dealers on the same emails as if they are interested, this will definitely get them going. If you prefer you could have an undisclosed list of dealers in the email, that would work too.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A 25% discount on speakers is not unheard of. I've received that on Paradigms, Klipsch and others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update for the benefit of anyone asking the same question in the future:

I visited a local Paradigm dealer and simply asked for his best price on new Studio 60's. He quoted 20% off their advertised price. I next visited a Totem dealer, asked the same question regarding a pair of Totems, and was quoted 15% off their advertised price.

Nice 'n' easy. Hope that helps someone else.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
]And that is coming from someone who admits being un-comfortable to negotiate. Can you imagine the kind of deal that someone who dares to stand up an negociate could ger ;):cool:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Just so you know...I always ask what their best price is...then ask that they include the taxes in that quote.

If they are not willing I'll ask for the Manager of the location...and ask if they would like the sale today...and in cash.

It always helps if you are willing to walk away...as I'm sure they can sense that I always am willing to walk away...but most times we come to an agreement.

Also...I'll always go to buy on the final day of the month...usually there is someone who is under their quota and willing to sell at minimal markup.

Yes it's squeezing them...but it's my money...I don't care about a fair deal with a company...I want the best deal they ever gave...always.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Whenever i am making a large purchase; even if the item is on sale; i buy from a local vender-non chain- and offer to pay cash. There is ALWAYS a deal for cash!
Especially with the high frequency of debit/credit card use in this country!
Best Regards!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts