Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - new to the forum but what I've read so far, looks like a knowledgable bunch here so I'm hoping someone can provide me some advice (that doesn't include the phrase 'just sign up for cable") to solve my dilemna.

Just moved into a condo complex and their rules are completely anal when it comes to installing a satellite dish - you can't. I can get a good signal off my balcony, and was thinking of mounting the dish on a tripod, then building a cover to simulate a gas barbeque to cover the dish. Was thinking of using ABS piping for the frame to minimize any metal adjacent to the dish. I know it sounds crazy that I gotta hide my dish, but thats the rule of the condo association.

My question is, will some type of cover such as this still allow a satellite signal to be received? Would an ordinary barbeque cover work?

I'm with Shawdirect and have the elleptical dish. I called Shaw but they're not much help in answering my question.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as the dish could get clear view out at the right angle might work but would take some trial and error. I think the signal hits the top side of the dish and then reflects to the LNB's. Sorta like hanging a low curtain in front of it and still being to peek over the top.

·
Registered
638 Posts
mount the arm on a patio block , aim the dish and cover it with a plastic garbage bag, my son has one on his patio with good results.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You can use thicker material but I'm with Sirius Guy. Use a big garbage bag but make it look like a patio chair.

Just for grins have a look at the official Shaw Direct Dish cover install video here:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/customercare/techcentral/videos/dishcover.asp

Here' Shaw's description:

Shaw Direct Dish Cover
Keep your Shaw Direct dish clear of snow and ice with the extra durable and attractive Satellite Dish Cover.

Perfect Satellite Signal, even after a heavy snowfall
With the Shaw Direct Dish Cover you never have to worry about brushing snow or sleet off your dish again. Perfect for those snowy winter days when sticky snow and sleet sticks to your dish, the strong vinyl dish hoodie keeps your dish clear as the snow and sleet slides right off.

This dish hoodie is easy to install even in dead of the winter and doesn't interfere with getting the best TV reception possible. The Shaw Direct Dish Cover fits all 60cm elliptical Shaw Direct dishes, and is not intended for use on 75cm or 1m satellite dish installations.

It's much thicker material - like a BBQ cover. So the Garbage Bag will do nicely (and far cheaper too!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked at the Shaw cover, and although likely the best solution, I gotta go in stealth mode.

I like the idea of the "lawn chair under a garbage bag" idea.

Appreciate your help and suggestions guys. Thank you.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked at the Shaw cover, and although likely the best solution, I gotta go in stealth mode.

I like the idea of the "lawn chair under a garbage bag" idea.

Appreciate your help and suggestions guys. Thank you.
Glad to be of help. But do me a favor and post a photo of the end result!:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts