Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I know this isn't going to be even close to what I have been looking for, but I haven't got a choice, and my situation currently (apartment & lack of funds for the moment) but I am looking for a 5.1 surround sound system.
My budget is $1200 give or take a few Hun

What I have:
- Hitachi rear proj hdtv 50v500
- Philips Q50 DVD player (with audiophile- grade DAC and op-amp, 24-bit/96kHz audio output, a built-in dts/Dolby Digital decoder)

I simply want a 5.1 surround speaker system to hook up to my tv/dvd player. Now I don't know how it all works, I mean do I still need an AMP/Receiver? I would rather not, because I AM going to spend about 5-7 g's in about 3 yrs when I get my house on a great audio setup.

Anyways, any advice or recommendations are most welcome.
I may try to get this purchase at the Brick, but not for sure.

I was thinking just the 5.1 speakers and connect them to the DVD player.... but then if watching HDTV, I wouldn't get the 5.1 would I? hmmm, trying my best to figure this out, excluding a Receiver for the time being.

Edit::: I saw this on sale at the Brick..
http://thebrick.com/Application/Cart/BuyRoom.asp?TraderID=34DC92B9-3DBD-438F-AA0B-BD0F699D5896&ProductID=2AB5AF3B-908B-4D1C-B550-8847E15CB8EC&SellOrderId=1A7ACC1D-1DE5-4221-B9B3-2E1EF9269BD4&CategoryID=C51BA33F-5030-4D1B-B12A-EFCC76A4F28B&SiteCode=EN&CategoryTracking=A058B9D3-C3AB-458D-8354-19E2329633C3,C51BA33F-5030-4D1B-B12A-EFCC76A4F28B

I would be willing to spend the money IFFFFFF they put out! ;-) but I just can't go higher......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I found some...

Well, I really like the reviews of the "Paradigm Cinema 110 CT series".
Right in my budget, selling for $999
So I suppose I need a receiver after all, for sure.
I think I will just go Paradigm's. I probably can't go wrong. I also cannot expect too much due to the limited space I currently have. I just want to be a couple of notches above content, that would be good.

Any ideas guys on a 'reasonably' lower priced receiver to push this speaker set with? If I can get away with it, I'll opt for something around $500

P.S. Which receiver would you recommend Dave, given I will purchase the Cinema 110 CT Series?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Rapplin said:
Well, I really like the reviews of the "Paradigm Cinema 110 CT series".
Right in my budget, selling for $999
So I suppose I need a receiver after all, for sure.
I think I will just go Paradigm's. I probably can't go wrong. I also cannot expect too much due to the limited space I currently have. I just want to be a couple of notches above content, that would be good.

Any ideas guys on a 'reasonably' lower priced receiver to push this speaker set with? If I can get away with it, I'll opt for something around $500

P.S. Which receiver would you recommend Dave, given I will purchase the Cinema 110 CT Series?
Not familar with the Cinema series. In the entry level speaker systems, many HT enthusiasts are directed to the Paradigm Performance series....Atoms or Titans up front, Atoms in the rear, a matching CC-170 centre and a powered sub (sub may be delayed until budget allows). Check out the reviews on the Performance series at the Paradigm website.

Pioneer 1014TX is priced in the $400-$500. The 1014TX was recently clearance priced at $400 at several Future Shop stores in BC. This receiver needs 6 ohm or higher speakers....I believe that the Atoms dip down as low as 4.4 ohms though (see Stereophile review), but are rated at 8 ohms nominally. A Marantz or Denon receiver should be a good match for the Paradigms. Onkyo receivers typically have the same 6 ohm limitation as the 1014TX. Not a fan of Harman Kardon. Yamaha may be too forward sound to match up well with 'digms....worth considering. I know that the older Yamaha were quite forward/bright sounding when matched up with my Paradigm Reference Studio's.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
The paradigm CT is a good option. Or very similiar is the Energy Take 5.
Both will work for an apartment.
There is a used set on this site. I believe a similiar or same set is now listed on ebay.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/5537-energy_take_51_like_new_5_speakers_plus_subwoofer

I do not know the seller so you are on your own.

I have owned both the Paradigm CT and Energy Take 5, You should pay around $400-$600 for a used set with a subwoofer. Both are good for the price.

That will leave you with about $500-600 for a DD 5.1 Receiver. Someone else will have to help you there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Need some help

I was reading the posts and I had a question I dont think was asked. Does anyone know if IKON speakers are any good. From what I gather from here is that BOSE are not that great and was wondering if IKON was any good. Also, I went to a store in Square One, Mississauga called World Sound and Vision and they are selling the IKON speakers and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with World Sound and Vision, negative or positive. The sales person told me that, if I bought the speakers (or set) from there I can always get a 100% value for it (i.e. If I pay $600 for the set or speakers and in 4 years I want to upgrade I can trade in my old set or speakers for $600). I was wondering if any other stores have this offer, or is just them? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hsd said:
I was reading the posts and I had a question I dont think was asked. Does anyone know if IKON speakers are any good. From what I gather from here is that BOSE are not that great and was wondering if IKON was any good. Also, I went to a store in Square One, Mississauga called World Sound and Vision and they are selling the IKON speakers and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with World Sound and Vision, negative or positive. The sales person told me that, if I bought the speakers (or set) from there I can always get a 100% value for it (i.e. If I pay $600 for the set or speakers and in 4 years I want to upgrade I can trade in my old set or speakers for $600). I was wondering if any other stores have this offer, or is just them? Thanks in advance
Sorry, I don't have any experience making any purchases from them, HOWEVER the likelihood of them allowing a trade-in (in 4 years) for the same price is beyond my comprehension. Can you imagine if a company were to give you back ALL your money for a trade-in like that? EVEN IF you were to buy a product from them immediately again, they would have made absolutely NO money on your original purchase, not to mention the depreciation of the item in value. Just my thoughts...

·
Banned
121 Posts
there seems to be 2 ikons:

http://www.dali-usa.com/int/page191.aspx?sub=214&grp=5

http://www.ikon-audio.com/

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I AM going to spend about 5-7 g's in about 3 yrs when I get my house on a great audio setup.
Spend the money now. You won't be able to afford it after buying a house. :D

I suggest you buy a decent A/V receiver. TV size and speaker requirements can change when moving but a good A/V receiver will always be useful. DVD players are in flux due to the introduction of HD so don't spend a lot on that. A new house provides an opportunity for creating a home theater room. Buy a basic HDTV and speaker system that will work in any room now and plan on buying custom units for your home theater room later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts