Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ADT just started telling me I have a low battery. I had it installed in October of 2007 so I guess I'm due. What type of battery goes in the motion detectors/door detectors? I thought they were N type but they are only 3 volts lithium. I need the name type so I can get them myself and save money changing them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Danster,

I'm not sure what your detectors require, but my wireless motion detectors use A23. My doors are hardwired. First however, I would verify that it is the detector batteries, and not the system SLA in the control panel (mine went over the holidays, at 11:30 PM on Christmas Eve - thought it was Santa setting off an alarm ;)).

But why not just pop open a detector and find out which type you need, then run out to the store and grab it? That's what I did the first time I needed one.

BTW, your motion detectors, and likely your door detectors if they are wireless as well, are probably tamper proof (small contact switch inside). You will have to call ADT and inform them you are changing the battery and disregard an alarm, before you pop it open.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the reason I didn't want to remove it....it calls back to ADT.
I don't think it's the A23 because it is about the same size as a C cell and it isn't 12v. I think it's about 3 volts. I had a used one somewhere but can't find it now.

I guess I'll have to take it apart and wait for the call.

As for the testing, by pressing *2, I get code 7 which is low wireless battery. I have 3 doors, 1 motion and fire alarm. 5 batteries total.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
But why not just pop open a detector and find out which type you need, then run out to the store and grab it?
Because specialty batteries are horrendously overpriced in retail stores. Replacement batteries of equal or better quality are often 1/4 the price by mail order.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly. If I let ADT change them for me, it will also cost me an arm and a leg.

Funny thing is today, my trouble light isn't on anymore....:eek:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I suggested that because your OP left the impression you had a more than casual need for a replacement. How long would it take for a mail order replacement?? Days?? For all anyone else here knows you could have been going out of town for a couple of months.

Regardless, you still could open the detector up to find out what kind of battery was in there. A phone call to ADT is not going to cost you anything. I would never consider ordering replacement batteries mail order without definitively knowing what type was inside. Basing my purchase by what some anonymous poster on the internet who may or may not even have seen the inside of wireless detector, especially if they didn't even inquire as to the model, seems silly. You can see by the responses on this thread that different battery requirements are possible in different systems; mine was at one point in time monitored by ADT, btw.

I'm sure if you just called ADT, they could tell you exactly what type of batteries you have in each of your detectors. I would think they get that kind of call dozens of times a day.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip. I will do just that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts