1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning All,

firstly if i have started this thread in the wrong section my apologies
Secondly i am one step away from stupid when it comes to HDTV's

with all that said, i am seeking some direction with a choice i have to make coming shortly between three tv's!!

the question at hand is which is best and why is it better than the rest!

lg42pj350
panasonic tcp42c2x
samsung pl42c430a1xzp

Thanks for your time and response!
SSworks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Best blacks go to Panny ... then Samsung, then LG.

Most Tweakable to get accurate image ... LG ... Samsung then Panasonic last.

If you just want to watch and do nothing else ... just get the panny and be happy.

If you want to tweak and make things better ... and learn and learn ... then the other two are better choices.

regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Michael TLV
Thanks for the reply

but primary is picture quality!

tweaking is an after thought i will mainly use this for movies xbox and my laptop (which is movies again)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

you get out of it what you put into it. No effort ... then just get the panasonic. Good blacks ... but colors no where close to accurate. Most think that is plenty good enough.

I can't see through your eyes to know what is good for you ... but since you don't want to tweak, then accuracy is not a priority.

regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Michael TLV

not trying to be a [email protected]$$

my budget allows for one tv of this type and i just want the best bang for my buck thats all!!

as for accuracy yes its priority but i dont want to be sitting here tweaking setups for every different input i connect to the tv.

as for whats good for me through my eyes, thats a no brainer, my eyes aren't trained for this type of thing hence why i am asking for help!!!

and from what i have gotten so far OUT THE BOX the Panasonic is best

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@57

my location is JAMAICA!

thanks for the links i will make it a point of duty to read through them!!

but if you had the option between the three listed tv's which would you choose!

also i have been reading that the first 100hrs + is critical for break-in for the plasma's!
my prob is 90% of channels on my digital cable has static logos like BBC america ABC SPIKE down to the movie channels hbo cinimax sho all have static logo's how do i get around that?

i was thinking to run a dvd that has no static images on repeat for a few days ? is this luni or can it actually work ?

also after break-in aside from the obvious not leaving still images up for hours days will i have an issue with channel logos ?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Get the panasonic. Best for fewest defects so less likely you'll have to return it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Let me get this straight: you're willing to put on the time to break in the screen (unnecessary) but you're not willing to spend an hour optimizing it? (highly recommended)

I would suggest you do more research into plasma technology.

As for the choices listed, I'm partial to Panasonic and agree with Michael TLV's points.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i have bought the PANASONIC tcp42c2 and presently "breaking in" the TV!
i went to the store with my brother and his Sony bdv-e300 with transformers 2 and played around with the three TV's and ended up with the Panasonic which both of us decided it looked best! (not either of us is professionals)
my brother has a ln46b640

now thats out the way!!

now to get to CALIBRATION!
is there a DVD/BR that i can download to get this done or is it that we/me need a train tech in to do this ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bit confused!!!

ppl say the plasma's run hot, i have had my 42" on for 3 days straight with out a break AT ALL, and its cooler than the 27" CRT tv i had.
btw i am in the tropics night time temps barely get below 90F

am i missing something here

87+ hours an counting shud be 100 by tonight, its still on since Thursday night

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Some plasmas run hot. My Panasonic barely puts out any heat.

Is there a reason why you're running it for 100 hours straight? There's really no reason to do that. When you buy a car, do you put it on a lift and run the engine for 100 hours too?

There's 100 hours you could've been enjoying your new TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually i build engines for a living and YES there is a breaking period!!
road cars have different breakin rules but for engines designed for race use YES we do put them on a dyno and put it through a breakin procedure to ensure the rings and bearings are seated properly!!!

as for plasma's i have read and been told that it need 100+ hours of breakin with no static images no bars and settings reduced to minimum!!

also to add yes i have also read that some dont follow this!

so to air on the safe side i have followed what most say and what i have found on Panasonic sites!! now if this refers to my specific model i dont kno

ofcourse i enjoy it but when i get up and leave i just zoom in and leave it on a movie channel! no sweat off my back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK UPDATE!!!

just bought a ps3 and hooked it up via hdmi every looks GREAT
rented a pixar BR and did some calibrations and now it looks much much better :D even though its basic and i didnt even get it all done right cause some things it was saying shud happen wasnt happening so i left some settings at factory levels settings but i have a small issue IF YOU CAN CALL IT AN ISSUE!!!

i bought the tv under the assumption its 720P
but when i press the info button on the remote it says 1080P :eek: on the tv why?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i bought the tv under the assumption its 720P
but when i press the info button on the remote it says 1080P on the tv why?
That's whatever the source is outputting. For example, if you set the PS3 to only output @ 720p, that's what would appear when you press "Info".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok cool so even though it says 1080P while playing a br movie on the tv its just really showing in 720p ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok now i am confused

ps3 playing games it says 720P
ps3 pop in a BR movie and it says 1080P the info on the ps3 says 1080P streaming at 40+ mbps DTS at 4+mbps
cable says 480i and 720P (different channels)
old xbox says 480i

the res does not = 1080P so why is it even displaying 1080P in the info box if the tv is only 720P

i have ordered a WD media center that wont reach for another week thats capable of 1080P!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts