Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up my new PS3:

Using an HDMI cable with a DVI connector as my 53" Panasonic Projection HDTV only has a DVI socket. Subsequently also using an optical cable for audio. The PS3 automatically sets up using 1080i. The only problem I'm having (not really, I'm also having a problem connecting to the internet wirelessly but will work on this issue later) is in the upper third portion of the screen there seems to be a red ghosting effect with either a Blu Ray movie or PS3 game. Audio is fine. I've tried reseating the HDMI cable and DVI connector, adjusting the convergence on the tv, as well as turning the PS3 off and on, with no success. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not an expert in these things.

Help!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Hold the round center button down on the controller will give you the turn off options(the playstation logo)

I just installed a wireless router on my vista machine. I must say the dlink install wizard disk was a absolute waste of time!! IT simply could not set up my xplornet wireless internet service at all. Luckily with the power of the internet i found out how to set it up. You have to setup sharing and set up a WEP key and then enter that info on the ps3. It was my first time dealing with routers so maybe someone else could help out on that one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tao...do you have component cables that you could hook up your PS3? I have seen the odd issue with DVI inputs not generating correct displays to some TV's (Brother-in-law had DVI problems but I'm no expert to know why). This would determine whether its your TV or PS3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try and get a 2 prong adapter. I bought Sony's composite cables and get the same ghosting effect when I use them. If I use the low resolution, 420p, it does not happen even though my tv states right on it 1080i. I'm assuming it has something to do with the high def stuff then. I also tried it on a plasma I have and it seemed to work fine. Hope the 2 prong adapter works as I getting pretty frustrated. Why spend the money if I can't get the high def/ blu ray to work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter fix with no success. I even tried plugging it into another circuit in my home using 3, 2 prong extension cords. Again I hooked it up to my other tv set (plasma) and it works fine.

I don't get buzzing or movement as some people do, but it is a red ghosting/shadow effect in the upper third portion of the display (where the menu appears when it is on). The menu icons appear with a red stable shadow. It also has an impact in gaming or blu ray watching. If I downgrade the res. from 1080i to 480p it is not there, but then I don't get the HD. Can someone please help? Again, I'm using Sony's component cables with an optical hookup for audio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts