Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wanting to buy a camera theat our family can use for our trip to Hawaii. We currently have a Canon SD850is which we like. However, the kids would get a huge kick out of being able to shoot videos underwater. So, first I considered a Kodak Playsport Zx3. It seems like great value for the price. It is capable of 1080p...we put our home video onto our Apple TV and watch on the Samsung flat screen, so this seems like a good idea.

Then I started wondering if I should consider just upgrading to an all purpose camera, so we only have to be taking one camera to the beach, pool, etc. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the Kodak's still shots. I am researching the Pentax Optio W90. It only does 720p. This is where I start getting confused...how much of a trade off is that? My husband likes his technology :rolleyes:, so I'm not sure if that would be a disappointment???

Any insight, opinions, or other cameras to consider would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake,

I wouldn't want to invest that much in a case for a camera that's two years old. I'd rather get a new camera. Thanks though.

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Pentax. I really liked the look and feel of it, and I guess 720p is just the trade off. Should be a fun camera!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I'd follow up and let you know how things went at Christmas. This is funny....we both bought each other waterproof digital cameras for Christmas...I got the Pentax Optio and he got me the Sony TX5, which I hadn't even considered. So the week after Christmas was spent with a picture taking showdown, and the winner is...the Sony. It took better pictures, so we kept that one. It has a very cool panorama option as well which will be useful in Hawaii. So thanks to all who replied to my post...as it turns out he picked the better camera...dang! :rolleyes: (But I did get a Gorillapod to go with it which he was impressed with, so at least I win that much in our little competition!) :p

Thanks again,

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jake,

Nope, haven't had the chance to test underwater yet. Looking forward to trying that when the opportunity presents...

Mel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts