Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Im with shaw in BC coquitlam using DCT700 >>>LG 47 LD520 tv>>>Sony str-de585 (amplifier)

tv connected to amp with digital optical cable .

Im looking to get surround sound from some of the tv channels .
When i try this amp shows sound as PCM 48 , which is not surround sound.

Is this possible ? :confused:

Chris

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You'll need to connect analog RCA cables (red & white) from the DCT700 to your Sony AVR. Best you'll get is Dolby Pro-Logic or similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tks for the reply , my tv doesnt seem to support passthrough.

A few questions,,,,
Does the DCT700 give DD5.1? If "yes" to connect to my Amp i need a cable with coaxial at one end and DVD/LD Coaxial(last remaining input on my Sony str-de585 (amplifier)that might work)
at the other end , is there such a cable?

I might have to upgrade my Digital box from shaw to get a digital optical connection.

Chris my brain hurts lol

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Does the DCT700 give DD5.1?
No, you'll need an HD terminal or HD PVR to get digital 5.1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks Cooper ....i think i will change to HD digital basic with shaw.

I see you have the DCX3400 , do you mind saying is it free , rented , or bought and how much ?

Chris

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Just as an FYI, for any two-channel audio, you can invoke Dolby Pro Logic II in the AVR and get pretty good surround sound. It isn't DD5.1, however, it can be very good.

As mentioned in the FAQ link I provided earlier, almost all DD5.1 is on HD channels with the only exception that I know being TMN-SD. Not sure about MC-SD.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
57, I looked up his AVR and couldn't quickly find the specs, but it doesn't look like it has PLII. Regular PL is very underwhelming, but it's worth trying out with a set of RCA cables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts