Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as to how to setup a home theatre in this basement.

We moved into a house where the basement is completed. The recreational room is 35ft x 10ft x 7ft high. Should I enclose the room to contain the sound?

I will be using:
Denon AVR989
SVS Speakers in a 5.1 setup (bookshelf speakers + PB10 sub)
Sony Blueray S360

Another dilemna is that I'm deciding between a 60" LED with 3D capability and a 1080p projector with a 100 inch screen.

Which one would you recommend for this size of a room?
My concern is that the ceiling is a little too low for a projector, is that right?

Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
We moved into a house where the basement is completed. The recreational room is 35ft x 10ft x 7ft high. Should I enclose the room to contain the sound?
Enclosing the room should help contain the sound, although bass will always make its way out. (Well, in my house it does, anyway. :p) Depending on how the room is acoustically insulated, other frequencies may also escape (through ductwork, etc.). Try the room out "as is" and, if you think too much sound is escaping, enclose it.

Another dilemna is that I'm deciding between a 60" LED with 3D capability and a 1080p projector with a 100 inch screen.

Which one would you recommend for this size of a room?
My concern is that the ceiling is a little too low for a projector, is that right?
The size of the room shouldn't be the determining factor.
- How close do you plan to sit to the (TV or projection) screen? If you're going to sit close to it (say, ~10' or less away), a 60" will look plenty large; further back, a 100"+ screen would look awesome.
- Do you have full control of lighting in the room? Projectors work best in very dark rooms, so if you can shut off all lights and block all windows, a projector is worth considering.
- What model(s) of projector are you looking at? There are likely a number of projectors that have the right combination of zoom, throw, lens shift and/or keystone to accomodate your room's dimensions. ProjectorCentral.com's Projection Calculator might be useful in helping you determine whether the models you're looking at will work in your space.

SVS Speakers ... + PB10 sub
Great sub. In a basement HT room, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade to the PB12-NSD. I did...and I did. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eljay,
Thanks for replying to my post. Actually, around the same time last year, I asked any advice on speakers and subs and you recommended me to check the SVS speakers. I have to say that their speakers are awesome specially the sub. I haven't listened to their NSD12 sub but I'm pretty sure I will upgrade my PB10 to either PB12 or NSD12 due to the size of the room I will setup my home theatre.

Regarding the projector, I haven't done much research yet. I see the most popular projectors are Optoma HD-200x or the Panasonic PT-AE4000 but don't know who sell them here in Toronto. My budget is approx $3000 including the screen. Regarding the lighting, the room doesn't have any windows so it will be completely dark.

I'm also looking at the Sony 60" NX800 which is 3D capable and I can get it under $3000.

BTW, you have a very nice home theatre.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice on my HT. I can't wait to get my new place and start building the HT...
Cheers, JM

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I haven't listened to their NSD12 sub but I'm pretty sure I will upgrade my PB10 to either PB12 or NSD12 due to the size of the room I will setup my home theatre.
I don't think you'll regret it. :p

Regarding the projector, I haven't done much research yet. I see the most popular projectors are Optoma HD-200x or the Panasonic PT-AE4000 but don't know who sell them here in Toronto. My budget is approx $3000 including the screen.
Take a look at the BenQ W6000 (1080p DLP). If it's as good as its predecessor (the W5000, which a buddy of mine has and which is an awesome projector), it's worth considering. From a quick look at Canadian prices, you could likely get a W6000 and a Grandview 100" fixed-frame screen for ~$3K (plus taxes).

I'm also looking at the Sony 60" NX800 which is 3D capable and I can get it under $3000.
3D doesn't do anything for me, so any comments on this TV would be biased. ;)

BTW, you have a very nice home theatre.
Thanks! :D

Anyway, thanks again for your advice on my HT. I can't wait to get my new place and start building the HT...
Glad to help, and best of luck with the new HT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts