Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Toshiba LCD TV and a Rogers 8642 PVR replacing my rented Atlanta Scientific digital box.

The PVR and TV are connected with an HDM1 cable. When I connect the audio outputs (RCA jacks) from the PVR to my old Sony amplifier and listen through my stereo (the amp and speakers), the audio is delayed (out of sync) compared to the video. This was not an issue with my old box.

I suspect that this is because of the HDM1 connection between the TV and the PVR. When I connect TV and the PVR with an RCA cable the synching is fine but the video quality suffers due to the connection.

Do I need to get a newer amp or receiver that has digital (optical) inputs or is there any way I could still use my old amp?

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

John

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
If your old amp has a delay option for audio in the user setup menu, then perhaps you'd be OK. You may also be OK if you were to use component video cables from the STB to the TV instead of HDMI. Also, the output setting in the STB may have an effect on the synch of some TVs due to processing of the signal by the TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=131926&postcount=2 Sync Post

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum and HDTVs - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. My amp doesn't have this delay feature. The problem does go away when I use the yellow video jack but at the cost of visual performance.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
have you tried connecting the audio out from your TV into your receiver? does your tv have an audio out jacks? if so try those ones, and turn your tv speakers off

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
The problem does go away when I use the yellow video jack but at the cost of visual performance.
I wasn't suggesting the composite connection, which is SD only. I was suggesting component video, which is fine for HD. Suggest you review the FAQs, etc to which I provided the link previously, along with the following posts on connections and HDMI Issues.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI Issues.

You'll need to disconnect HDMI to use component video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have solved the problem by buying an A/V receiver with an optical input. (It was on sale, about 30% off). I connected the PVR to the TV and the TV audio (which has only optical output) to the receiver. Everything's in sync now. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Using optical (should not "have" to be) the solution.
It will solve your particular issue, but the problem that audio sync is happening in the first place (using HDMI) is still there.

I get audio sync problems off and on with Rogers, using an 8642 pvr, and connecting via HDMI through my Pioneer vsx-1326-K to my Kuro Elite tv.

The most issues happen when Rogers is taking a US broadcast, and (simsubbing) - ie, processing it and re-transmitting it on the Canadian channels (and US channels) that are carrying the signal at that particular time.
Perhaps the extra processing that Rogers is doing is causing the issue - or making it worse.

If I flip around to different channels (HD and SD) for the most part everything is in sync - except for the situation above.

What I end up doing is to record the "western" (American) feed for whatever program I want - which is typically the "actual" US broadcast (without all the Canadian commercials dubbed-in, etc).
This arrangement works fine.

I have noticed this issue is getting worse.
I shudder at the prospect of calling Rogers to complain and have them act like they've never heard of the issue before - and want to come to my home to see if it is my own equipment that is faulty.
They should know their own technology - and its limitations - a lot better.

*** UPDATE ****
The biggest issue I have noticed of late is audio sync issues with Fringe (Friday's at 9pm).
Tonight, I also noticed the same thing while watching Alcatraz.

I found the problem. It happens when Rogers simsubs the american feed to re-brand it CITY TV (their channel logo is present).
I checked that this occurs on both my tvs.
What is also funny is that the program has audio sync issues, but when the "canadian commercials" come on, the audio/video IS in sync.
Obviously the american "program" gets a delay-hit, but the original "canadian" content is un-touched.
So, whatever Rogers is doing with their retransmit/branding (simsubbing) on CITY TV is not working.

I will have to keep doing my recordings on the time-shifting US networks to avoid this issue if I want to eliminate the audio sync problems that Rogers simsubbing is introducing to the "program".
I can't speak for other channels, but I can definitely say that both Fringe and Alcatraz (simsubbed CityTV) have this issue.

Come on, Rogers - fix this stuff, will ya ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts