Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to fish an ethernet cable in an old house ?

Its roughly 30-50 ft in distance from the upstairs computer to the mainfloor living room. its a small house and the joists run the opposite way of the direction i need to go. all the walls are exterior walls.(its a small house lol)

Any idea on a price per linear foot? or is it all piece work? Im trying to figure out if its better for me to run a wire outside in a conduit myself or pay someone to fish one inside.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive reaserched that stuff and found that only a direct wire can current stream HD seamlessly. wireless and ethernet have too many drop outs to send the 40ish mbps consistantly to stream HD. So im stuck with a wire.

My second solution was to build an HTPC but runnign a wire outside in conduit is much cheaper then that. (plus id need a new wireless router my old one is terrible)

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most files are Variable bit rate so while the avg might be 10mbps a 720p file can peak at 20-24 mbps and 1080p files can peak at over 40 .

small net builder did a head to head in September with all of the current techs and found only a wired connection or a coaxial ethernet connection coudl reliably stream content (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/mult...ures/31273-hd-streaming-smackdown-the-rematch)

even the newest 4 stream wireless n setups still can almost do that kind of bandwidth consistantly but cost upwards of 300bucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.