Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ripping through hundreds of cameras and reviews, I have come across only a few that seem half decent and even these have shown to have major problems. Thus I have become very hesitent on which camera to buy. I've come across a few Cameras. The

Canon Gl1
Canon Gl2
Sony VX1000
Sony VX2000

Both of these Canon cameras were shown to have amazing qualities. But there are two things that majorly turn me off from this camera. Numerous people have told me about pixels dying out on their camera. More significantly, I've heard the very common and tragic "remove tape" problem that costs $500 to fix. This in turn has caused me to look elsewhere.

The sony VX1000 was another camera that caught my eye. It looks affordable and seems to have decent qualities (though they seem to be slightly less than the Canon Gl1,Gl2). However, I've heard that its recording in low light is nothing to brag about. This shakes me because the current camera I have is absolutly terrible in low light and I am in no hurry to have the same problem with a thousand less dollars in my pocket.
However, the sony VX2000 was said to have drastically improved on the low light function. However this camera seems more difficult to find in an affordable range. Other than that I haven't heard too many bad things about it.

If anyone has any input about one of these cameras that would be great. Especially if you own one. If you know any good deals on a Sony VX2000 that would also be great.
I'm standing in the $900-1200 dollar range, but that is asuming the camera is used. Cameras are like cars to me, no point buying them brand new.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Probably The best Pick comparable camera to what you are looking for if you can find one used is the Panasonic DVX100, the things are damm near bullit proof, alloy metal body just a very rugged SD semi pro camcorder.Also don't always believe all the listed problems you find on the net,
I had and used a Canon GL2 for 3 years with out so much as a glitch as a wedding videographer, although I have heard of the issues that you mention,
so yea it can happen. I am currently shooting with the Canon HXA1 and love it.

As far as the ones you mention my experience is that the canon's generally have a better Crisper image quality then the sony's which tend to have a some what softer image in my opinion. But they are all good semi-pro camcorders with good features and generally good reliability I have shot with them all at one time or another.

As I said at the beginning if it was me hunting for a used SD camcorder I would be scouring to find a DVX100 used, it seems like the going rate for these is much higher then I anticipated around $1700 used but if you can find the right deal say $14-15 hundred I would spend the extra to get it over the canon Or sony though. Also don't be affraid to get really aggressive even if you are not considering new, the mark up on these items is astronomical the list on My XH A1 is $4600 Cdn I ended up buying it new for $2700 dollars. So you might even want to try and push for a deal on a new G2 or V2000
just something to consider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts