Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Depends on the devices. Some devices like STBs continue to send a signal even when "off" (standby) and that could be a problem. You may wish to consider an inexpensive switch instead, or an IR controlled switch (anything that switches RCA plugs should work)

If both devices are DVD players or similar, those usually stop sending a signal when off and that adaptor would work.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a STB and a DVD player. I've looked for a switching device, but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Search the web for something like "A/V switch". These will typically have a lot more inputs/outputs than you need, but they will work. Manual switches are usually about $20. Ones with remotes are obviously more.

I'm assuming the HTiB doesn't have an unused optical input? I'm assuming you don't wish to use analogue audio inputs, usually present? Kids may not miss DD5.1?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
(anything that switches RCA plugs should work)
Likely true if it's a mechanical switch. If it's an active device and/or uses electronic switching, probably not. A composite video switch would be best since it maintains a 75 ohm impedance (at least in theory) and should have adequate bandwidth.

A "4 Port Component Video Switch w/ IR Learning" that "- Supports Component Video, Digital (Coaxial, S/PDIF) *5.1 and (RCA) Analog stereo audio signals. - IR learning. - Remote control included" is available. The cost is about $20 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. As there's only 1 digital input, and we want 5.1, I'll go for a switcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts